Don't know what to brew today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokenanchor

Reaction score
Ok so I woke up this morning and realized I have most of the day free, so what did I immediately think? BREW DAY! Only problem is I'm a little low on specialty grains and don't really want to do a SMASH. So here's what I've got, as well as some random adjuncts ie oats, molasses, brown sugar, honey. Anyone ever heard of a brew made out of a combo of these ingredients?

Bunch of Pale
Bunch of Munich
4 lbs wheat flakes
1 lb aromatic malt
1 lb honey malt
1 lb black patent

Chinook, Cascade, Centennial, Tettnanger, Willamette

It's too early, I'm too lost and tired to think, so if I don't find anything else I'll probably just do a smash with Munich, since I have yet to do one.

Do a German style, maybe a late season marzen or give a wheat dopplebock a go. Cascade for aroma or flavour, chinook and willamette on the boil maybe. Let us know man

You might be able to pull off a Munich Dunkel (esp. if you have the ability to lager, if not just use a clean ale yeast)...

Maybe something like:

9lb Munich
2lb Pale
2oz Black patent (just to get color up a bit)

1oz tettnanger @ 60 minutes
1oz tettnanger @ 20 minutes

According to tastybrew, that should give ya around:

OG: 1.056
FG: 1.014
IBU: 26
SRM: 14
ABV: 5.4

Not too thrilled about the black patent, but I think it'd still turn out as long as you keep it to a minimum...

English or American Pale?

If English, you could make a fine English bitter using mostly Pale malt and a touch (4-6 ounces) of aromatic for some caramel malt presence; bitter with Willamette to around 30 IBUs.

If American, you can add in some Munich for increased malt presence.

Either way, the OG should be around 1.040 for a easy drinking session beer.

Good luck!

I bought aromatic malt a few months ago and it's still sitting untouched. No idea where to use it. I bet this happens alot..

See I felt the same way about the aromatic...I just didn't know what to use it in. Anyway We ended up making a non traditional dunkelweizen with tradition hops (yeah I thought we had tettnanger) therefore I'm dubbing it a FunkelDuck. Anyway, here's what we ended up throwing in. It will certainly not be to style, but it will be beer, and it will be enjoyed (hopefully).

8 lb Munich
2 lb Pale Two-Row
1 lb White Wheat Malt
1 lb Wheat Flakes
1.5 lb Oat Flakes
5 oz Black Patent
2 oz Honey Malt (probably won't be present we just felt like adding a little of everything)
1 oz Tradition @ 60 min
1 oz Tradition @ 15 min
S-05 Yeast

Ended up at 1.062 OG, so a little under 70% efficiency meh what are you gonna do it was just one of those brew days. Samples tasted pretty good I'm sure there will be enough mouth feel with the wheat oats and a 156 mash temp. I was afraid of the black patent at first, but now I'm thinking we didn't add enough. We'll ferment in the low 60's to try and get a crisp lager-like beer.

Latest posts

Back