Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dumped my yeast starter into my fermenter...in went the stir bar

I have done that a couple of times. Just let it sit until the beer is done. Just make a note on the fermenter to remember to get the stir bar out of the trub when you are done.

I have done that a couple of times. Just let it sit until the beer is done. Just make a note on the fermenter to remember to get the stir bar out of the trub when you are done.

Never been "lucky" enough to drop mine in yet. So this might be a stupid question, but couldnt you just use the keeper magnet and drag it up the side? Or are standard glass carboys/plastic buckets too thick?

Never been "lucky" enough to drop mine in yet. So this might be a stupid question, but couldnt you just use the keeper magnet and drag it up the side? Or are standard glass carboys/plastic buckets too thick?

I tried, but wouldn't work through the keg that I ferment with. The footing the edge is where you lose it. Plus it was a pain with 10 gallons inside

I tried, but wouldn't work through the keg that I ferment with. The footing the edge is where you lose it. Plus it was a pain with 10 gallons inside

Ya that would make sense. I put notes in sharpie on all my stuff so I don't forget it to do it

Using a heavy shot glass in the dry hop sack to keep it below the surface of the beer. then forget about it when dumping the contents of the hop sack in the garbage. Don't do that...

On that note, also make sure that the shot glass doesn't get stuffed with pellets, slight reduction the yummy hops extraction.

Have you lost your marbles?

Yes, as a matter of fact sir, I have indeed lost them!...to a greedy sister & brother who also stole all my trading cards & a big box of comics I saved!@!@#!@#$()*(^%#$#%besides the fact that they!@#Q@$^*%^&%$, & further more!@!@#$%$$!!!! Guess I was the :goat:

Buy pin lock kegs on CL for $ 30 each. Do that. Decide to open up the kegs to see how they look. Still ok. Vent pressure but don't pay attention to which post you vent. Get sprayed with old Coke. Don't do that.

Buy pin lock kegs on CL for $25 each. check pressure but don't open. Get around to cleaning them a couple of months later to realize one has a pin hole rusted right through the bottom.

Play a game of poker over who cleans the mashtun. Lose (don't do that) then learn the new neighbor hasn't brewed in a few weeks and didn't clean his tun... Don't do all of that!

Been using up some built up vacation time and have all the kegs full so I've been brewing and partaking a bit the last couple weeks. Ate a big bag of granola today on the way back from grocery shopping. Don't do that. That beer yeast flora going on has me bloated and registering on the Richter scale.

Sounds like one of the bottles of whiskely stout I opened slightly cool right outta the box the other day..DEFINITELY don't do that! I & my newly painted wall & new desk were anointed!

Brewed a batch for my son in law. Trusted him to rinse out the bottles and didn't check them as close as I should have before bottling my next batch with those bottles. Starsan can only do so much...
Having to dump most as I go.

Please don't do that.

Brewed a batch for my son in law. Trusted him to rinse out the bottles and didn't check them as close as I should have before bottling my next batch with those bottles. Starsan can only do so much...
Having to dump most as I go.

Please don't do that.

Cut off.
Divorce him

I brewed a pale ale on Sunday. I've become sloppy with my brewing lately, so it was only after I had finished and cleaned up, when I looked again at my recipe and noticed that my IBU was way too low. What to do? I figured it should work, so I took some bittering hops and boiled them gently for 60 minutes in a small amount of water, and added this to the fermeting wort after cooling down. Will this be a "Don't do that" exprerience, or will it work?

I brewed a pale ale on Sunday. I've become sloppy with my brewing lately, so it was only after I had finished and cleaned up, when I looked again at my recipe and noticed that my IBU was way too low. What to do? I figured it should work, so I took some bittering hops and boiled them gently for 60 minutes in a small amount of water, and added this to the fermeting wort after cooling down. Will this be a "Don't do that" exprerience, or will it work?

I am interested in this answer since the hop boil volume was different than the wort boil volume. Which hop variety did you use?

I am interested in this answer since the hop boil volume was different than the wort boil volume. Which hop variety did you use?

I used Magnum, 11%.

The problem as I see it is that the boiling hop water might be saturated long before all the IBUs have been extracted. That small amount of water would have over 1000 IBUs if the extraction and isomerization worked as normal.

Make a batch of Yoopers oatmeal stout and decide to use the runnings as a partigayle. Scavenge hops from the freezer and notice 3 ounces of Galaxy, Australian that Midwest threw in to my order last month. Add a pound of brown sugar and end with a gravity of 1.020... pitch a pack of S - 04 on top of the word and expect results. Really, seriously, don't do that.

Filled the carboy with oxi to soak. Moved to garage to make room for guests and forgot about it over the holidays with nightly lows in the single digits. Don't do that.

IMAG1523.jpg

Don't ever register and post on homedistiller.org. That is impossible and won't get you any help with a serious emergency

Drop your big ole' thermometer into the BIAB mash. :eek:
Don't do that.

Then dig for it with a long BBQ tong thing that has little serrations on the end for some BBQ reason or another and your grain bag is...well... fragile. :smack:

Don't do that, either.

PSI got my thermometer back, no telling yet if the bag has a wee hole or not.

Don't do that.

Then dig for it with a long BBQ tong thing that has little serrations on the end for some BBQ reason or another and your grain bag is...well... fragile. :smack:

Don't do that, either.

I think it's due to your username.

Don't do that.

Don't do that, either.

If it were his name it would have been a cell phone and not a thermometer.

Dropping your phone into your boil kettle. Don't do that.

I think it's due to your username.

Lose count of how many 1.5 pound trays of grain you weighed out. Couldn't figure out why we got crazy high efficiency (93%ish) when we always hit the same efficiency give or take a 1% (79%). Get on the computer and add a pound and a half of Pilsner malt and we hit 80%. Yep, must have had 10 pounds, not 8.5 pounds of Pilsner malt.

So our Czech Pilsner became a "Premium Czech Lager" according to style guidelines. A 6% beer instead of the 5% we were shooting for.

Lose count of how many 1.5 pound trays of grain you weighed out. Couldn't figure out why we got crazy high efficiency (93%ish) when we always hit the same efficiency give or take a 1% (79%). Get on the computer and add a pound and a half of Pilsner malt and we hit 80%. Yep, must have had 10 pounds, not 8.5 pounds of Pilsner malt.

So our Czech Pilsner became a "Premium Czech Lager" according to style guidelines. A 6% beer instead of the 5% we were shooting for.

I did the same thing but in reverse. Couldnt figure out why I only got like 50% efficiency on my house stout when I traditionally hit ~75%.

My recipe calls for 15lbs of 2-row and I refilled my bucket to about where it was when I brewed and re-weighed it and I was roughly 4lbs short (or something like that, cant remember off the top of my head). Either way, it actually ended up being a very drinkable stout, so no complaints at the end of the day, but it was still a dumb move haha :tank:

Be cheap and buy a scale that measures only 1.5 lbs;)
Don't do that:D

Be cheap and buy a scale that measures only 1.5 lbs;)
Don't do that:D

Hey! Ohhh, never mind, you're right. :(

We're buying a new scale. Today! Seeing that the other scale is 15 years old, we've gotten our money's worth out of it. It'll still work for measuring specialty grains.

I did the same thing but in reverse. Couldnt figure out why I only got like 50% efficiency on my house stout when I traditionally hit ~75%.

My recipe calls for 15lbs of 2-row and I refilled my bucket to about where it was when I brewed and re-weighed it and I was roughly 4lbs short (or something like that, cant remember off the top of my head). Either way, it actually ended up being a very drinkable stout, so no complaints at the end of the day, but it was still a dumb move haha :tank:

I did similar on my last batch. It was 30# total grain, 24# pale and 6# rye. Somehow when I was measuring the grain (from memory on the recipe instead of looking at it) two-row I subtracted 6 from 24 and only used 18#. This was a mistake made before imbibing a single ounce of alcohol, too.

Noticed when I went to check pre-boil gravity. Ended up augmenting with 2.5# cane sugar instead. It IS a strong IPA (supposed to be DIPA), so drying it out a bit won't hurt.

Still, don't do that.

Brew an IIPA that cost a fortune in grains, hops & peppers, then go cheap on the yeast. I used two rather than three packets rehydrated. Definitely don't do that!

Back