Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about giving the hydrometer a quick shake to get some foam off while holding on to the very thin and fragile end....
Don't do that

Not charging the drill battery before milling grains but trying to mill anyway. Got about halfway through and it died. Had to wait all day just to mill the rest of the grain and the brew day was postponed for a week.
Don't do that.

I need a better drill.

I posted this to another thread, but thought it fits here...

Once, I added a little yeast nutrient to an Erlenmeyer flask full of hot wort that I had just removed from the heat. I had a nice little volcano, with messy wort everywhere.

Don't do that.

On your first all grain batch have as many per hour as an extract batch and sit down on the couch during the boil (with alarm set) and have SAMBO wake u when she gets home from her mom's.

Realize u r 2.5 hrs into boil and down to 3.5 gal but only hop addition u missed is flame out but u can't find it anywhere.

Stick ic in there and cool anyway and figure I'll top up with water when it chills and dry hop when I find that bag.

Come back in 20 min to see that the recirculating ice water from dirty cooler (read leaves and other junk) is now pumping into bk and u r back up to 5.5 gal.

Call it a night and go to bed. Have to b up for work in the am. Cut your losses and put the lid on and figure I'll clean this up tomorrow.

When u come home for lunch find missing hops in fridge and start thinking.

Tell SWMBO to turn burner on .5 hr b4 u get home and get it to a boil, get home, add hops flame out chill and pitch.

Don't tell anyone that drinks it how it was made. It's actually very good and I just tell them it's a batch I made a few mistakes on and don't think I can reproduce it.

On your first all grain batch have as many per hour as an extract batch and sit down on the couch during the boil (with alarm set) and have SAMBO wake u when she gets home from her mom's.

Realize u r 2.5 hrs into boil and down to 3.5 gal but only hop addition u missed is flame out but u can't find it anywhere.

Stick ic in there and cool anyway and figure I'll top up with water when it chills and dry hop when I find that bag.

Come back in 20 min to see that the recirculating ice water from dirty cooler (read leaves and other junk) is now pumping into bk and u r back up to 5.5 gal.

Call it a night and go to bed. Have to b up for work in the am. Cut your losses and put the lid on and figure I'll clean this up tomorrow.

Tell SWMBO to turn burner on .5 hr b4 u get home and get it to a boil, get home, add hops flame out chill and pitch.

Don't tell anyone that drinks it how it was made. It's actually very good and I just tell them it's a batch I made a few mistakes on and don't think I can reproduce it.

Nice recovery!!!

And I'm still hunting the single blade of grass I know is chilling in my kettle right now.

Here in Southern California, we do have TONS of brown widows, though.

On the positive side, they've been edging out the black widow population, and while a brown widow bite will ruin your day, it's less dangerous than the black widow bit.

On the negative side, the brown widows seem to be VERY plentiful. More plentiful than black widows where. I can seriously go through the yard on any summer day and find at least 10 of them to kill, underneath lawn furniture, kids' climbing toys, etc.

If you see a brown widow, you'll know by the web and egg sac. The webs are unorganized (not like an orb-weaving spider) and the egg sacs are small, off-white, and look extremely spiky...

kevin-brown-widow1.jpg

They're everywhere out here in CA!

I see those once in a great while here. But around here, it's common house spiders, mixed with those brown recluse, small black hairy white banded jumpin' spiders. Then these recluse-size black hairy ones with red banded legs. Look like little tarantulas? Then there's those huge shiny black & yellow ones. Dang, I hate spiders!

Not charging the drill battery before milling grains but trying to mill anyway. Got about halfway through and it died. Had to wait all day just to mill the rest of the grain and the brew day was postponed for a week.
Don't do that.

I need a better drill.

There's a reason I like corded drills...

...you don't have to go looking for the battery pack charger. Lost mine, maybe in the garage? Don't do that! Can't find another one, maybe a dual charger.

Go down the brew room, 6/3, to see if the next day is the 7th day of dry hopping an IPA or in two more days. Notes say the dry hop was on 5/18.

Don't do that. Keep notes taped to computer monitor.

I keep a calendar next to the computer hutch for such things. And in my recipe notes in BS2. Papers get lost or contain errors...don't do that!

Go down the brew room, 6/3, to see if the next day is the 7th day of dry hopping an IPA or in two more days. Notes say the dry hop was on 5/18.

Don't do that. Keep notes taped to computer monitor.

I just put all the pertinent info on a strip of duct tape on the carboy, then I don't have to go looking for notes

I just put all the pertinent info on a strip of duct tape on the carboy, then I don't have to go looking for notes

Even if you only have one fermentor going, the IPA, don't think it doesn't need to be tagged, like you always do, when multiple fermentors are filled.
Try to remember your memory has age problems.

Wait in line for cans at a brewery, pay for them. Then wait in line for growlers, and tell the guy at the register that you didn't pay for the cans. Don't do that.

When your keg is way over-carbed, and you open the valve and you get sprayed with the foam all over your face and the t-shirt. Don't do that.

Read this thread before you start your brew....jinx yourself. .. then proceed to leave the valve open on your brew kettle when you start your sparge... Dont Do That...

Latest posts

Back