Domino Dots FYI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pers

Reaction score
After searching every grocery store in my area and not finding the 198 count dots, I sent Domino an email. They confirmed that they no longer make the 198 count dots. I've seen it mentioned in a few recent threads that people have only been finding the larger 126 count dots. Figured I make a dedicated thread and let everyone know instead of replying in another.

Had to shave down the bigger ones with a knife and then weigh each one to get through my last bottling session. It's quite the tedious PIA. Not sure what I'm gonna do moving forward as I've never had any luck with batch priming. The fizz drops are ridiculously priced compared to the dots. This might finally drive me to keg.

Found the 126-count cubes at the local grocery. They fit easily into 740ml PET bottles. I just have to figure out one or two. (They are 4 grams each by my scale)

This: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044EGTGC (or something like it) and a 1/2 teaspoon measure
It's a start.

A couple of the approaches in "1 gallon brewers unite" (link in #5) enable one to "dial-in" the carbonation level in "volumes" (2.2 vols, 2.4 vols, ...)

Back to what OP was hinting at: using the 126 count cubes in 12 oz (340 ml) bottle will overprime the bottle.

Thanks for the confirmation that they just aren’t available anymore. When I could no longer find the 198 count dots I decided to use @TwistedGray method. It’s easy to do, esp since I make small batches.

Well, no link at the bottom for me, but like I said, it's not my day to troubleshoot software :).

Nice overview of using measuring spoons to dose individual bottles. There are also techniques in "1 gallon brewers unite" that target dosing individual bottles based on target "volumes".

See my signature ;)

For me, reply #6 is essentially empty (and it's not my day to troubleshoot other people's software for free :))

What is the @TwistedGray method?
If you’re using a PC desktop or using your phone in the landscape position, you’ll see a different screen which includes members “signature” lines if they have anything written there.

B1F7126B-3991-45C9-96CC-6982B0555EB8.jpeg

If you’re using a PC desktop or using your phone in the landscape position, you’ll see a different screen which includes members “signature” lines if they have anything written there.
Thanks.

In the past, I've encountered this situation (where people's signature lines don't show up). For me, it was a situation that occurred across multiple devices from multiple vendors, across multiple browsers on each of those devices, ad blocking software either enabled or disabled, across multiple IP addresses (cellular vs ISP), and whether or not I was logged in, confirmed all software was current, cleared the browser cache, rebooted (or otherwise power-cycled devices) ...

And a visual +1 to @z-bob for providing the link!

Think I'll try the 1/2 tsp with funnel method first. Not thrilled with what needs to be done for 50+ bottles with my bottling space setup but I'll give it a try.

Other idea was to pre buy a bunch of the 126 ones and just shave them down all at once. Seal them up and have a couple hundred on hand when needed. With my brewing schedule could probably get away with doing this once a year.

Thanks for all the suggestions, just not ready to start kegging yet.

The spoon and funnel goes pretty fast. I prime about 8 or 10, fill and cap them, and move them out of the way. Repeat several times and I'm done. Use 22 oz bottles and it goes even faster.

I buy flavored sparkling water at Costco that comes in 17 oz twist-top bottles. I don't really like the water that much (it's okay), but the bottles are awesome for bottling beer and cider. And they will fit in a beer bottle six-pack. A 126-count sugar cube is about right for priming.

Think I'll try the 1/2 tsp with funnel method first. Not thrilled with what needs to be done for 50+ bottles with my bottling space setup but I'll give it a try.

Other idea was to pre buy a bunch of the 126 ones and just shave them down all at once. Seal them up and have a couple hundred on hand when needed. With my brewing schedule could probably get away with doing this once a year.

Thanks for all the suggestions, just not ready to start kegging yet.

After a few members here said that it would take far too long to do a 5 gallon batch (50 bottles), I did a 5 gallon batch to see, and it took less than 5 minutes ; )

I have been using two Domino dots per bottle for years; perfect results.
A few tips I have learned:
Caps can only be used once. Buy extras.
Drop cubes in, fill bottles right up to the lip, squeeze bottle before capping to get all air out. Critical.
DO NOT SHAKE TO DISSOLVE CUBE.
Leave for two to three weeks at room temp.

FWIW, the math :)eek:) for 12 oz bottles and 198 count Dots can be found here: Bottle primed with Domino Dots

But, as OP noted, the 198 count Domino Dots are no longer made.
I've found the 126 count Dots, but having a heck of a time finding any info on using them with 740ml bottles. Just to be sure not to under or over carbonate; I may try a few test bottles in a batch I'm bottling this week. (Using 1 cube in a couple, 2 in a couple)

Back