Doing an extract brew on my BIAB setup - fun!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbrews

Reaction score
I usually brew BIAB on my electric setup (build thread here), but last night I decided to knock out a quick full-volume boil extract brew of a session IPA. It was really fun and made for a much quicker brew day than a typical BIAB. I steeped the specialty grains for 15 minutes before ramping up to a boil and adding the extract and hops. All said, I completed the brew in about 2 hours, or about 1/2 the time of my typical BIAB brews. I even managed to watch a hockey game during the brew -- something I'd never attempt to do with BIAB. It may be heresy to admit, but sometimes it's nice do a quick extract brew of a simple beer -- especially if your kegs are empty!

Totally agree! I am going to do a 10 gal extract to get the pipeline full again. Do not have the capacity for 10 gal all grain.

I usually brew BIAB on my electric setup (build thread here), but last night I decided to knock out a quick full-volume boil extract brew of a session IPA. It was really fun and made for a much quicker brew day than a typical BIAB. I steeped the specialty grains for 15 minutes before ramping up to a boil and adding the extract and hops. All said, I completed the brew in about 2 hours, or about 1/2 the time of my typical BIAB brews. I even managed to watch a hockey game during the brew -- something I'd never attempt to do with BIAB. It may be heresy to admit, but sometimes it's nice do a quick extract brew of a simple beer -- especially if your kegs are empty!

I've been seeing pretty good success with a 20 minute mash. From my perspective you saved 5 minutes by extract brewing. :cross:

I've been seeing pretty good success with a 20 minute mash. From my perspective you saved 5 minutes by extract brewing. :cross:

Yeah, I've been following those threads. I've successfully done a 30-minute mash, but not yet anything shorter. Most of my brew time is spent prepping, sanitizing, chilling, setting up the fermenter, etc. For most brews, my actual time for heating to strike, mash, heating to boil, and then boil is usually 2.5 hours. Even with a 20-minute mash, I'd be hard-pressed to complete the entire process in less than 2 hours.

I want to live in the magical land where the mill sets itself up and puts itself away, the grain grinds itself, pours itself into the bag, mixes itself, lifts itself out of the kettle and cleans up after itself, the bag magically appears in the kettle and cleans itself, and the wonderkettle instantly insulates itself. Just because those steps don't take much time individually, doesn't mean they can be ignored. I know you are a big proponent of your method, but it is fairly disingenuous when you make these kind of claims.

Even if you can overlap some of those steps, he would have added more than 5 minutes to his overall time and definitely wouldn't have been able to watch and enjoy a hockey game.

I want to live in the magical land where the mill sets itself up and puts itself away, the grain grinds itself, pours itself into the bag, mixes itself, lifts itself out of the kettle and cleans up after itself, the bag magically appears in the kettle and cleans itself, and the wonderkettle instantly insulates itself. Just because those steps don't take much time individually, doesn't mean they can be ignored. I know you are a big proponent of your method, but it is fairly disingenuous when you make these kind of claims.

Even if you can overlap some of those steps, he would have added more than 5 minutes to his overall time and definitely wouldn't have been able to watch and enjoy a hockey game.

I know you won't believe it but from the time I have the recipe in hand until the equipment is cleaned and put away and the wort is in the fermenter waiting to chill will be about 2 hours and 20 minutes. That includes hauling the equipment up from my basement to the kitchen, weighing and milling the grains, and taking the cleaned equipment back to the basement. I don't put away the grain bag or the bowl and colander immediately because I air dry them and I don't include chilling because I've learned about no-chill brewing which saves a bit of time and some water that I don't choose to waste. If my kitchen stove had a higher wattage burner I could probably shave off another 5 minutes.

What is it about your BIAB system that would prevent you from watching the hockey game while brewing?

LOL, that's a good question. Let's just say I have "mash anxiety." When I'm running a recirculating mash, I always worry that it will get stuck, or that a hose will pop off, or that the temp will go too high, or that .. . well, you get the picture. Of course, nothing like that has ever happened, but I still worry.

As I get more brews under my belt, these anxieties will melt away and the whole process will become easier and more efficient. And I'll be able to enjoy hockey games -- especially if I can pause them when there are critical process steps.

LOL, that's a good question. Let's just say I have "mash anxiety." When I'm running a recirculating mash, I always worry that it will get stuck, or that a hose will pop off, or that the temp will go too high, or that .. . well, you get the picture. Of course, nothing like that has ever happened, but I still worry.

As I get more brews under my belt, these anxieties will melt away and the whole process will become easier and more efficient. And I'll be able to enjoy hockey games -- especially if I can pause them when there are critical process steps.

Ah that makes sense, I do not have the ability to recirculate. If I have a pump running I think I'd watch it as well.

I know you won't believe it but from the time I have the recipe in hand until the equipment is cleaned and put away and the wort is in the fermenter waiting to chill will be about 2 hours and 20 minutes. That includes hauling the equipment up from my basement to the kitchen, weighing and milling the grains, and taking the cleaned equipment back to the basement. I don't put away the grain bag or the bowl and colander immediately because I air dry them and I don't include chilling because I've learned about no-chill brewing which saves a bit of time and some water that I don't choose to waste. If my kitchen stove had a higher wattage burner I could probably shave off another 5 minutes.
He said he did it in about 2 hours. 2 hours and 20 minutes is more than 5 minutes extra. You singled out the steep time, compared it to your mash time, and then ignored everything else that does indeed add up, as much as you'd like to pretend it doesn't. Plus, I doubt he'd be able to watch the hockey game while going up and down to his basement, cleaning, etc.

Again, I'm aware, as I'm sure everyone else is at this point, that your method is fast. It isn't a time warp though.

I did one 2 1/2 gallon batch in 2 hours and 10 minutes but a 5 gallon batch takes longer as my stove doesn't heat that much water as fast. Add about 10 minutes for heating the extra water. I'd like to try it with a propane burner but when I tried that on a cold windy day the temperature went down instead of up and I finally finished the batch on the stove.

I don't do many 5 gallon batches anymore because of my back. It takes 2 visits to the chiropractor for each 5 gallon batch just to straighten out what I did from lifting that batch off the stovetop. Besides, I can brew 2 1/2 gallon batches way faster than I can drink them up and I get to try more variations that way too.

I want to live in the magical land where the mill sets itself up and puts itself away, the grain grinds itself, pours itself into the bag, mixes itself, lifts itself out of the kettle and cleans up after itself, the bag magically appears in the kettle and cleans itself, and the wonderkettle instantly insulates itself.

Isn't all of that true with specialty grains too? Or are you just ingenuously singling out what supports "your method"?

Back