doh!, forgot to add bottling yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svenness

Reaction score
Brewed a 10% Imperial Stout and have had it aging for the past three months including some time with bourbon soaked oak cubes. After bottling I decided to go all out and wax and label. At this point I realized that I forgot to add the bottling yeast. :(

Reading old posts it sounds like at this ABV there should be plenty of 1056 yeast still in the beer to carbonate but I really wish I had remembered to add the dry yeast if for nothing else some peace of mind. This is most time and money that I have invested in a brew thus far. Guess I just needed to vent on here, thanks for reading.

You should be fine... I wouldn't worry about it.

I can understand your frustration, but really, at worst, it'll take longer to carb. If you did everything else right this isn't going to doom your brew.

Don't worry you will be fine. I have gone over 6 months without bottling yeast and the still carbed up fine. It could take a little while longer but who cares it's a RIS they tast better with some age.

Yep, should be fine. If you can, let it bottle age at least 9 months, 18 if you can stand it....

But you did add some kind of carbonation sugar, right?

+1

I've never added bottling "yeast", I just add bottling "sugar" that the remaining yeast left in the fermenter consumes and thus carbonates.

I, too, think you're just fine. I never reyeast, even with big beers. I would, though, if I were you, open ONE of those bottles now and transfer it into a plastic soda bottle with a screw on cap. Before you seal the cap, squeeze most of the air out of the headspace. That way you'll be able to see and feel the bottle expand with carbonation and you'll save yourself the frustration of opening 4-5 of them over the next six months and finding them flat. When you're curious, just check the soda bottle.

Latest posts

Back