Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rest in Peace Jack, thanks for all the great times! Loved his pool in the Texas heat. Hard to believe that pic was a few weeks ago. He was my football, brewing, frisbee, tug-o-war and drinking buddy. Cheers!!

Sorry, I see my comment in another thread was not helpful. Glad he wasn't suffering long. Pets are family, enjoy your good memories.

I'm very sorry, Pianoman. When we said goodbye to the first of our two brother boys, our vet was so kind to say, now he's running free in the prairies. Heal soon.

pups - max and olu.jpg

my poor Howdy has a booboo foot

One of his nails separated from his toe. Don't know how. vet had to remove the rest of it (the nail, not the toe).

He's got some pain meds & is resting now

21762430_10214135653449056_5826718091765209401_o.jpg

Banfield has its critics, but there are two DVMs there who are the only ones we will take him to

we got lucky yesterday to get one of them, taking him in for an emergency

he was boarded last week and got a bath & nail trim before we picked him up on Sunday. he seemed a little "off" when we took him home, but by Monday he seemed back to his normal self. then Tuesday morning he woke up limping, favoring his right front paw and holding it up some. looked at his leg, but didn't notice anything off and he didn't wince or yelp at any time

then around 2pm, he was sleeping behind my chair and when I turned around I must have bumped that paw, because he yelped and held his paw up close to his body. that's when I noticed the nail at an odd angle and bleeding and decided to take him in to see the vet

now that nail seems to be the ONLY one they didn't trim at the kennel and I'm wondering if they effed it up and just didn't do anything about it. didn't tell us, didn't take him to the vet right ****ing next door. and it's kinda pissing me off thinking about that. we're talking to the manager/owner at the kennel later today

20170919_135646[1].jpg

he was scratching at the couch and again behind the couch (nesting), so he may have done it then. don't know

just seems kind of odd that the rest of his nails are clipped and not that one

Hilma had a tummy bug and several days of bad poops.

Today went to the vet to check, no serious infections, but she got a drip for dehydration and some additives for her food for the next week.

She's sluggish, but otherwise fine, thankfully.

Thought the cone was kinda big, but the next size down won't fit his neck

Invested in a Medium and X-Large softcone almost 12 years ago...best investment ever.

The medium will fit the neck of all but our Saint Benard but won't keep the big dogs from being able to chew on their back paws and stuff...works great for eyelid surgeries and such but still lets them walk around pretty much unhindered.

X-Large can shrink down small enough for my 50-55# dogs and none of them can reach ANYTHING with it on. Smaller dogs are made basically immobile by it and my giant breeds are just made hilarious as they bump into every obstacle.

Long time since I posted since...life. Zeus, the GIANT heart worm positive dog I adopted is 2 weeks into the actual arsenic part of the treatment. He is doing mostly well but after the initial lack of interest in everything (5 days) keeping him inactive and calm with three other dogs is as challenging as one would expect.

Oddly, despite a very aggressive diet (about twice what he would get as an adult) he is not gaining wight even before the treatment. Not concerned yet...but will be soon. At 108 #'s he is about 12 below optimal.

On the plus side...great bedtime cuddlier...even if he is all bony.
And Zeus had the last treatment Wednesday. Just 28 more days of steroids and inactivity.

Still has not gained weight so the Vet told us to go up 10% on the food...puts him at over 6 cups a day. Conversely, my Saint Bernard outweighs him by 5 pounds and gets 3 cups.

Zeus looks like he is going to make with no ill effects other than some minor lung scar tissue. Until he can run and play at will, I will not 100% believe it.

@Onkel_Udo that's good news. Many years ago a Bassett Hound found his way into our life who ended up heart worm positive. $1000+ dollars later our "free" rescued Bassett was heart worm free. As long walks were the norm with our other dogs, once he was well we walked the legs off of him for his 8 remaining years with us. (Ok, he was a Bassett and had no legs to begin with, but that was our running joke with him.)

Tonights glass is raised to Zeus and his recovery and Conan the Barbarian Bassett and his love of carpet.

That's awesome Onk! Great to hear that Zeus continues to get better! I had no idea a heart worm recovery took so long. Can't wait to hear about it when he gets a completely clean bill of health :mug:

That's awesome Onk! Great to hear that Zeus continues to get better! I had no idea a heart worm recovery took so long. Can't wait to hear about it when he gets a completely clean bill of health :mug:

2-4 month process/torture. So yeah, that preventative does not seem so expensive or inconvenient (not that it ever really was).

Good grief! Go big or go home!! Hope the little guy is up and running soon.

Axle is missing his buddy and frustrated with the 49ers..

He'll miss him for awhile. Riley is still missing his little buddy (a bulldog we lost at the end of July). They grew up together from pups (9 years together). All you can do is love on them!

And I can't help you or Axle with the 49ers! :p

He'll miss him for awhile. Riley is still missing his little buddy (a bulldog we lost at the end of July). They grew up together from pups (9 years together). All you can do is love on them!

And I can't help you or Axle with the 49ers! :p

..or the Huskers but at least we fired the AD!

We got the box for our Jack remains. I hope this helps with my wife to heal. This guy needs a partner. He's lonely...or is that me??? He get so frisky this time a night.
The ashes will bring a flood of emotions and help with the healing.

I took our hound mix Killian's (named after the street we found him on) ashes with me while walking the other dogs and spread some at every mailbox he had peed on over the years. When I walked into the vets to pick up Conan the Barbarian Bassett's ashes the staff started tearing up as did I. I did the same with his ashes though I spread them a little lower. Ashes of our Sphynx cat Bela were placed in a shot glass with tequila as a toast was made.

We all grieve and cope in our own ways. It is never easy it, but it gets easier.
We love them while they're here and cry like babies when we lose them.
We then do it all over again. We can't help it we're softies.

We have a shelf in our living room that is all pet urns (about 6, I am getting old) so they can still hang out with us. My mother’s is with them, as she would want to be. That touchstone is a constant reminder but also keeps me at peace with their passing.

Everyone copes. It always sucks, but I am glad I knew every creature on that shelf, and I know they were all happier for knowing me.

Same here, I have the ashes of 6 dogs and 2 cats in a curio cabinet along with a paw print in plaster and their collars with tags. Every one an awesome pet in their own unique way. Kinky is in my lap and I'm rubbing her little Sphynx head as I type this with one hand.

Guess our oddity is on our fireplace mantle. Preserved in jars we have the manhood from the two male dogs that adopted us while still intact. I told them they were welcome to keep them, but they would be in a jar on the mantle. They were cool with it. Every now and then I'd take the Bassett's jar down and rub it on the carpet for him. He'd look at me as if I'd just told a dad joke and go back to being a silly Bassett.

Back