Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His ears are docked to the point I believe "gone" would not be inappropriate. I believe someone planned to fight him until the fund out how tall he is. He has Carne Corsa or Mastiff in him but bays like a hound.

To her...all my brews taste good!

IMG_3773.jpg

For reasons related to my new dog door that I recently bought, I wanted collar that had an integrated ID. I didn't want it hanging down. Too much clacking and stuff.

I highly recommend this site. I looked at Amazon in depth, but after reading reviews and stuff settled here. Imma telling you, this is one fine collar!

http://www.gundogsupply.com/huncolleatdr1.html

3-4-in-mendota-hunt-dog-leather-d-ring-puppy-small-dog-collar-246.jpg

Agreed! Onk is awesome!

Onk, I bet that's gonna be a great dog! Please do keep us posted!

He did great at the groomers and is lighter by 15 ticks. He now lets us pet him (on his terms) about 50% of the time.

We really is 100% part of the pack and about 60% part of the family.

He still has not come inside and he goes to the vet tomorrow but unless he is heartworm positive, he stays. Heartworm positive we have to decide if he is healthy enough to to survive it.

Last edited:
Zeus is almost coming in the door to the house at feeding time now...stops a little closer each time. Still have not figured out what he is a mix of but it is hound (based off his baying) and likely a Mastiff based off his build.

Vet had an opening so he goes in for the heartworm test in a couple of hours. If that is negative he will get hi first round of vaccinations and I will have him chip-scanned since the animal control guy requested it (he is considering going after the former owners for a couple of citations).

KIMG0136.jpg

Well he did great at the vet but a mix of good and bad news. He is heartworm positive but despite my reservations I am going ahead with treatment...because, he is also 12 or less months old.

We had a big boomer move in right after I got home from work and I did convince him to come inside. He was not super comfortable with it and not sure if would come inside for the renter for two pop-up thunderstorms today.

Is Inside Good.jpg

Well he did great at the vet but a mix of good and bad news. He is heartworm positive but despite my reservations I am going ahead with treatment...because, he is also 12 or less months old.

We had a big boomer move in right after I got home from work and I did convince him to come inside. He was not super comfortable with it and not sure if would come inside for the renter for two pop-up thunderstorms today.

Sorry to hear about the heartworms Udo but it's awesome that you're giving him another chance! I don't have any experience treating a dog with heartworms. Have you done it before? Are you anticipating a lengthy recovery?

Sorry to hear about the heartworms Udo but it's awesome that you're giving him another chance! I don't have any experience treating a dog with heartworms. Have you done it before? Are you anticipating a lengthy recovery?

TWICE a reply got deleted...once a Windows update and then an internet outage. Short version...worried about everything on page two of this article regarding limiting activity.

http://www.vetstreet.com/dr-marty-becker/heartworm-treatment-for-dogs-what-you-need-to-know

K. Noob heartworm question. Why would you not do treatment? Cost? Effectiveness?

K. Noob heartworm question. Why would you not do treatment? Cost? Effectiveness?

Cost for 105# dog is $1500-4000 and odds of survival IF you can keep them inactive is about 80-95% depending on age and condition. Finally, if heavily infected they will have lifelong heart and/or lung issues in about 40% of cases.

If you step back and consider I am serial rescuer...heartworm treatment almost never makes sense. There are literally hundreds of dogs lined up behind this guy that are over age, too big, etc to be adopted by mainstream people. I could adopt 4 of them for what I am about to spend on one.

Cost for 105# dog is $1500-4000 and odds of survival IF you can keep them inactive is about 80-95% depending on age and condition. Finally, if heavily infected they will have lifelong heart and/or lung issues in about 40% of cases.

If you step back and consider I am serial rescuer...heartworm treatment almost never makes sense. There are literally hundreds of dogs lined up behind this guy that are over age, too big, etc to be adopted by mainstream people. I could adopt 4 of them for what I am about to spend on one.

Finally, can you keep a 10-16 month old dog with a new pack and love to run inactive for 34 days?

Consider taking that dog to a vet school and let them get some practice. Will save you a lot of $$.

[edit] consider this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8000970&postcount=4029

we did that with our lab/dane mix when she tore an acl (doggie equivalent). Great experience.

I work too much, have a race coming up and the nearest place is in Indianapolis...if time is money, my vet is cheaper. If time and the access to vet that gives me meds at cost for my rescues, knows my serial adopter tendency and gives me their personal cell phone (and also suggested the vet school mentioned earlier), etc,etc. Surgery, this is the right answer...treatment where the cost is drugs, not always.

Oh. Well thats not very good odds. Either way, good for you. There should be more people like you in the world that will do so much for our furry friends. :mug:

Update on Zeus...he is awesome and just needs more positive human contact.

Eventful evening as my little guy, Gus, some sort of border collie terrier mix, continues to struggle with his place in the new pack order.

Hera decided to assert dominance during play and flipped Zeus on his back...all good he just submits. 10 minutes of chase latter Gus tries to tackle Zeus with his patented "grab the jowl" move but instead ends up under Zeus, upside down with a giant paws on his chest. I give him five minutes to struggle and snap before I call Zeus off and separate them for a few minutes.

20 minutes later, Zeus is cleaning Gus's ears...then 15 more minutes of chase.

Why can't humans be so simple.

Eventful evening as my little guy, Gus, some sort of border collie terrier mix, continues to struggle with his place in the new pack order.

Hera decided to assert dominance during play and flipped Zeus on his back...all good he just submits. 10 minutes of chase latter Gus tries to tackle Zeus with his patented "grab the jowl" move but instead ends up under Zeus, upside down with a giant paws on his chest. I give him five minutes to struggle and snap before I call Zeus off and separate them for a few minutes.

Appreciate the update. Interesting story to follow. I hope all goes well.

Chase is a favorite game around my house. They play rough too! I used to get nervous especially when we first got them and the daughter was still a puppy. But, I realized that mama will roll over on her back and give the little one a chance to "win" every once in a while. Now I realize that as hard as they play, there will never be intent to cause harm.

Glad to hear that Zeus is doing well! Looking forward to checking on here one day and finding that he has a clean bill of health - free of those heartworms :mug:

My fellow home brewers: I don't know if this is okay to post or not, but I (and my wife) have started a go fund me for "My Doberman Heidi Needs Surgery". In 12 days we have only raised $30.00, and have a long way to go. If you can afford even the value of 1 pound of grain to help us with our beloved Heidi, my family and I will be forever grateful.

We have now raised $125.00 so far, due to the generosity of some anonymous brewers I am sure. Thank you so very much as every single dollar helps Heidi get closer to getting her surgery.

We are now at $150.00, thanks!

Lab mix? Try to keep him lean and active...he could be with you two decades!

Yeah he is 1/2 lab, 1/4 German Shep,1/4 Maremma

We do keep a very close eye on his diet and he does get daily walks along with several runs a week and hiking most weekends. We are trying to limit the lengths of his runs right now to a mile or two until he is a bit older. We were advised by our vet and the breeder that it would be best to wait until his is 2 before we let him run longer distances with us. The thinking being waiting for his joints and bones to be fully developed will help avoid and issues he may have later in life.

Back