Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

I hate be a bummer but my wife and I are mourning the loss of my little brew buddy, Boo.

He passed away yesterday after our neighbors dog got into our back yard somehow and attacked him. Please make sure you give your little friends an extra hug today because you truly never know if it might be your last chance to.

IMG_20160412_164826.jpg

Well, the Old Man is suffering from idiopathic vestibular disorder, aka, old dog dizziness. You can look into his eyes and see them constantly rolling up and down. Good news is that he is in good working order otherwise, and dogs usually just right themselves after a few days.

View attachment 1472923090979.jpg

attachment.php

I hate be a bummer but my wife and I are mourning the loss of my little brew buddy, Boo.

He passed away yesterday after our neighbors dog got into our back yard somehow and attacked him. Please make sure you give your little friends an extra hug today because you truly never know if it might be your last chance to.

Sorry for your loss. I feel for you. Lost a beagle about 10 years ago. Took it very hard. We now have a mini dachshund who is 9 years old. I dread the day when her time comes as my wife and I are very attached to her. She's part of the family.

Thoughts are with you.

Sorry to hear about Boo. It always sucks when we lose a dog. We get so attached to them so much that when they go we cry like babies.

One of my dogs is now almost 15 and is showing signs of age. I am dreading the time when she is gone.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

It's horrible to see them go but the joys they bring us are priceless.

@TheCrackpot , so sorry for your loss of Boo. My heart goes out to you and your family. The next pint poured, a toast will be raised in Boo's memory.

We love them while they're here and we cry like babies when we lose them.

On a little lighter note.... Every time I go up to moms (usually once a week these days), I take Moogie with me so he can run in the back yard, untethered. Yesterday, he decided to ride almost the whole way with back legs on the back seat and fronts on the center console, looking out the windshield to where we were going.
Had 'Flight of the Valkryies' running through my head the whole trip
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1472956234.983797.jpg

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

It's horrible to see them go but the joys they bring us are priceless.

As I have taken to rescuing senior giant breeds, you second sentence sums it up. Even if I have them for the assumed "one last good year" or that 11 year old Bernese lasts 4 more years, you always tend to gain more than you lose. After the initial shock, pain and heartfelt sorrow begin to fade a bit, you can revel in the joy again...memories and stories of the exploits retold.

Thanks Inkleg and beernbourbon.

We've had quite a few pints and shots in Boo's honor yesterday and today.

He would use the console and back seat of my Jeep, just like Moogie, as a viewing perch while on the way to the Woods and back.

Onkel_Udo, my wife and I have, for the last few years, discussed doing the same thing with older beagles. I'm glad to hear from someone actually doing it that the joys still do outweigh the pain of dealing with the loss more frequently and after relatively shorter amounts of time. That's the one thing that would hold us back when we are ready to take in another.

Our hearts go out to the unwanted, older dogs. Especially those that had a home and family only to be discarded due to inconvenience or the death of an owner. It's an honorable thing that you are doing.

Onkel_Udo, my wife and I have, for the last few years, discussed doing the same thing with older beagles. I'm glad to hear from someone actually doing it that the joys still do outweigh the pain of dealing with the loss more frequently and after relatively shorter amounts of time. That's the one thing that would hold us back when we are ready to take in another.

Our hearts go out to the unwanted, older dogs. Especially those that had a home and family only to be discarded due to inconvenience or the death of an owner. It's an honorable thing that you are doing.

It is a much larger cost per year of lifespan...does not sound like it should be a consideration but it is.

You have to make a LOT more "quality of life" decisions. This is the part that most animal lovers have a problem with. My Bernese was still mostly sound even at 15 but almost all the things he took joy in were fading from his abilities. When that situation became more often "bad days" than good ones, my best buddy and a fixture at all our races had to go for the big sleep.

Most of the seniors that come up at the rescue agencies I work with end up there when their owners have to go into care (nursing homes, mostly) or the owners pass away so they tend to be well trained, affectionate and completely confused as to what has happened.

Good luck if you go down that road.

Here is the pack looking at me pitiful and all because I spent the whole morning in the basement brewing, kegging and breaking down sacks of grain into smaller packages.

They even arranged themselves by size!

Why you to basement so much.jpg

Phlox and Porthos brothers (see if anyone can get those) when they were a few months old. Need to get some more quality pics now that theyre about 15 months.
B1kM24u.jpg

YPIukDw.jpg

9sr1EJV.jpg

IyBEXXR.jpg

And playing a bit too rough haha
Ws43a7E.jpg

My boy has gotten so much gray in the face this last year.

He's running, jumping, growling, & barking in his sleep right now.

IMG_3482.jpg

Well, the Old Man is suffering from idiopathic vestibular disorder, aka, old dog dizziness. You can look into his eyes and see them constantly rolling up and down. Good news is that he is in good working order otherwise, and dogs usually just right themselves after a few days.

Well, the Old Man is back on his (wobbly) feet. Here's his gray mug

View attachment 1474334181871.jpg

Back