Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very lucky, juvenile rattlers actually carry a stronger dose of venom than the adults.

Yep...doc told them if a coupe more of the bites had penetrated kid might still have made it but would have been in coma for a while. Also lucky was that about every hospital in the area carries the anti-venom. I guess there are ways to freeze it now but back in 1988, I remember it had a short shelf life.

He was quite proud of stealing the stick from my son lol
20160510_172550_001_01.jpg

My brother brought over Lucy (his sister). They had a blast. They are still figuring out who is boss though. Couple more play sessions and they should have that sorted out

20160510_192215_009_01.jpg

20160510_192218_002_01.jpg

Nothing more adorable than puppies at play. It honestly is only one of two things I miss from adopting seniors. The other of course is that clean puppy smell.

Nothing more adorable than puppies at play. It honestly is only one of two things I miss from adopting seniors. The other of course is that clean puppy smell.

It takes a special cut to adopt dogs and an even more special kind to adopt senior dogs. When it evens out, you don't miss much. Not so very much.

It takes a special cut to adopt dogs and an even more special kind to adopt senior dogs. When it evens out, you don't miss much. Not so very much.

As I have said before, I do it as much if not more for selfish reasons. Senior giant breeds tend to fit my personality and lifestyle. They need little beyond love (which they return 10 times over what they are given)...not much exercise or even attention. They are house trained and bad habits are usually already known.

My newest (now a year with us) is an exception but most come from people who turned them over from owners loosing a house, elderly going into care, etc. Feel more sorry for former owners that lost their companion.

Sure, I miss out on puppy play and vet bills can be challenging at times but I am still the winner in the deal.

Sure, I miss out on puppy play and vet bills can be challenging at times but I am still the winner in the deal.

Oh, puppy owners will have the vet bills too. I'm three times the cost of the dog in vet bills now. Little bugger likes eating fabric and lawn thatch.

My now 10 month old male Akita will most likely be the last rescue pup for me. He still wears me down at times but I always win. Love him so much, plays me for the sucker. He needed a home asap at the time.

I say that like I'd refuse a pup. Just imagine that as a likely scenario. Won't happen.

Oh, puppy owners will have the vet bills too. I'm three times the cost of the dog in vet bills now. Little bugger likes eating fabric and lawn thatch.

Not that I REALLY look at the money involved in the decision process (limited by city low of volume of dogs) but rescue seniors are often cheaper from non-specialty shelters as well.

Wally...119 # Bernese, 11 years old, free (but we donated the normal $95 adoption fee)

Hera...103 # St Bernard, 7.5 years old, $250 (specialty shelter and over $500 in vet xrays, health checks and vaccinations)

MJ...5.5 year old unadoptable Catahoula mix thrice returned to the shelter, $55 with all shots up to date.

I can go on but but even if you figure in the shorter remaining lifespan...still a "bargain". Not trying to convert anyone, but if use a specialty rescue agency, they often had a free return policy...and not just for seniors.

He is doing better. Still a new place and lots to take in. We found putting a blanket over the crate when it's bed time seemed to help him.

Would be nice but just didn't feel like dropping 2k on a lawnmower. Spent 299 on this one from lowes. I need the exercise anyways. We bought the house in December, before that it sat vacant for 3-4 years.

Needless to say the yard needs some major TLC

He has taken a liking to our little girl though which is pretty adorable.

Ahhh! Puppy and baby cuteness!
This one got caught twice on the face taking out a copperhead in the yard yesterday. (Don't worry- she'll be fine)

That drool means she's feelin' fantastic after the vet juiced her up on painkillers.

Be careful out there, and if your dog comes in with a swollen face, don't wait and get them to the vet!

rHAB2sc.jpg

I'm glad there's few snakes in MA.

Yep...doc told them if a coupe more of the bites had penetrated kid might still have made it but would have been in coma for a while. Also lucky was that about every hospital in the area carries the anti-venom. I guess there are ways to freeze it now but back in 1988, I remember it had a short shelf life.

Super glad there's few snakes in MA.

Yesterday we finally got to meet Bridger and bring him home!! Last night was a long night as he was not a big fan of his kennel, but that was expected and will get better with time.

He is a very good puppy and extremely mellow and laid back for a lab mix puppy. He has taken a liking to our 4 year old daughter and our 6 month old son.

The 14 yr old cat on the other hand is still trying to figure out what this new little yellow dog is doing in his house. Luckily Bridger has been submissive to the cat and is quickly learning to give him his space.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463419431.431340.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463419448.297324.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463419533.163749.jpg

the Howdy has discovered rabbits living under our back deck and under the shed in the backyard and we've discovered the Howdy is a DIGGER

2016-05-02 17.57.56.jpg

Yesterday we finally got to meet Bridger and bring him home!! Last night was a long night as he was not a big fan of his kennel, but that was expected and will get better with time.

He is a very good puppy and extremely mellow and laid back for a lab mix puppy. He has taken a liking to our 4 year old daughter and our 6 month old son.

The 14 yr old cat on the other hand is still trying to figure out what this new little yellow dog is doing in his house. Luckily Bridger has been submissive to the cat and is quickly learning to give him his space.

View attachment 354654

View attachment 354655

View attachment 354656

Freaking adorable. Congrats!

The first 3-4 days were a little rough for us as well. Brutus would go into the kennel no problem, eat his food and drink his water then didn't understand why he wasn't coming right back out. He eventually calmed down and now if I make sure to run him ragged before bed he goes in with no complaints and I don't hear a peep till I wake up to go to work and let him out. I think he realized it's a safe place and he isn't in there forever LOL.

Thor has been doing well with Brutus. For the first few days all Brutus did was nip and annoy him. Just recently Thor finally let out a couple barks to tell the youngster to knock it off. Looking forward to more moments like this.

20160516_102634.png

the Howdy has discovered rabbits living under our back deck and under the shed in the backyard and we've discovered the Howdy is a DIGGER

Got up last week (probably 2AM) to let my 4mo old puppy out to use the bathroom and there was a rabbit just hanging right there in the middle of the yard. I literally felt like I was reliving the scene from Tombstone right as the piano lover draws on Doc at the OK Corral... She took off immediately in the rain and chased that rabbit all over the yard ( fenced in of course). The rabbit finally got away, but my tired a** had to finally get her back inside, clean the mud off her, etc...

My K9 Security Unit, aka Raven, whom I jokingly refer to as 'The Beast Of Bray Road' after the werewolf said to haunt a stretch of road in rural Wisconsin.

DSCN0026.jpg

Bridger has only been home a few days and I'm pretty sure he has settled in. I also think he has adopted our almost 4 year old daughter as well.

He is doing great with his potty training and sleeps in a pillow next to our bed. He does great off leash and is learning his name and a few basics like sit, come, leave it and down.

He is a pretty mellow guy. He has a few 10-15 minute spells of true puppy crazies a day but then finds a nice comfy place to relax and monitor the kiddos.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463707281.039209.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463707373.318848.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463707327.251548.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 137
Bridger is looking great! Glad he is doing so well for you guys.

BTW good choice on stroller. Wife picked up the two seater version last year and the thing is amazing

What's gonna be hilarious is when he's too big to get in there and he still insists.... You're going to have to be ready to post up a video for us on that one.

Deal and I don't think it will be too long before he is too big to fit under there.

Bridger is looking great! Glad he is doing so well for you guys.

BTW good choice on stroller. Wife picked up the two seater version last year and the thing is amazing

He really is doing pretty well. The biggest issue right now is getting him to realize the kiddos are off limits when they are laying on the floor and that our daughters skirts and tutus are not for pulling on. Typical puppy stuff that we were fully aware we would need to work on. It is really only an issue when he is in full "puppy" mode and we are starting to get a feel for when those episodes are coming and can prepare to redirect him to an appropriate toy. Honestly the grumpy old cat is the biggest issue now. He loves to get Bridger all worked up for a game of chase, and then swat him in the nose when he has had enough. Then we know Bridger will have the crazies for the next 5-10 minutes.

Bully sticks are our best friend right now.

Oh we have the double as well, both are great strollers. We have flown several times using the single and it has been a life saver in the airports. Both do great for jogging or just walking the dirt roads and even trails in our area.

Deal and I don't think it will be too long before he is too big to fit under there.

He really is doing pretty well. The biggest issue right now is getting him to realize the kiddos are off limits when they are laying on the floor and that our daughters skirts and tutus are not for pulling on. Typical puppy stuff that we were fully aware we would need to work on. It is really only an issue when he is in full "puppy" mode and we are starting to get a feel for when those episodes are coming and can prepare to redirect him to an appropriate toy. Honestly the grumpy old cat is the biggest issue now. He loves to get Bridger all worked up for a game of chase, and then swat him in the nose when he has had enough. Then we know Bridger will have the crazies for the next 5-10 minutes.

Bully sticks are our best friend right now.

Oh we have the double as well, both are great strollers. We have flown several times using the single and it has been a life saver in the airports. Both do great for jogging or just walking the dirt roads and even trails in our area.

Brutus is still learning the kiddos are off limits as well. Like you said though typical puppy stuff we expected. Our saint has been amazing though. Poor thor is being chewed and pounced on every second we have them together and he has been very understanding of the puppy. One of these days he will finally have enough and put Brutus in his place.

4 years ago today we woke up to find the Howdy could not use his back legs.

visits to our vet and to the veterinary neurologist determined he had a slipped disk and required surgery. surgery too expensive for us and we prepared to say goodbye to our baby boy

Fortunately, Dr. Megan Dolese, DVM at Banfield had called and got us an appointment at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital, VA-MD College of Veterinary Medicine at Virginia Tech, offering a more affordable surgical option

we drove to Blacksburg and the Howdy had his surgery. after a short hospital stay and months of trying to keep our Howdy from straining his back, he made an almost complete recovery

a very heartfelt thanks to Dr. Dolese and all the DVMs, students and nurses at Virginia Tech for giving us 4 more years with our Howdy

so, my advice to you if you ever need an expensive treatment for your pet; check with the nearest veterinary school. they have extremely qualified vets plus you would be assisting them in teaching the next generation of DVMs how to take care of ailing pets in the future.

710.jpg

Five months and handling thunderstorms like a champ.

Always a good thing!

Since you got a pup, please tell me you are almost obsessively handling his and getting him used to the idea of nail trims. It cannot tell you how much I wish this was the normal for my elder rescues.

Back