American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tasted a hydro sample of mine. It is sitting at 1.014 right now which is what I was shooting for but I think I would prefer it if it got down a few points lower. I don't have any 60 min on hand to side by side though. It still tasted good just a little sweeter than I would like. Nice strong hop bitterness though for sure. I haven't dry hopped yet so maybe that will help offset the sweet we will see. I will probably dry hop tomorrow or Sunday and will report back again. After it finishes that stage.

Any idea if it is better to cold crash, then dry hop or dry hop then cold crash. Or does it not matter?

I don't think it really matters. I dry hop in the keg while its carbing, so I have to cold crash first. The dry hopping process takes much longer when the beer is cold compared to ale fermentation temps, so keep that in mind. I leave my hop bag in the keg until it kicks and don't get any "vegetal" flavors.

Brizzo said:
I read the thread about why not o pitch on your cake, or read enough page to get th point. I guess I won't be doing that even though the innkeeper is a lower gravity ale and this clone is a little heavier.

I want to try washing yeast but I am worried abou contamination so I guess I will just go puck up a couple package of nottingham or s05

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew and just pitch it on the yeast cake.

Well my first all grain batch was funny and very educational. I didn't have too good of an efficiency (63%) I think it was due to poor mash temps. But I learned a lot and can't wait to try again.

Due too the poor efficiency I only got a OG of 1.060. But I pitched the Pacman and well see how it turns out. Thanks Yooper.

Yooper, how did the batch you made that had a OG if 1.061? Like I said mine was only 1.060. What was your FG on that batch?

cossacks19 said:
Yooper, how did the batch you made that had a OG if 1.061? Like I said mine was only 1.060. What was your FG on that batch?

Sorry I was trying to say, how did the batch turn out that had a OG of 1.061?

Stupid phone.

Sorry I was trying to say, how did the batch turn out that had a OG of 1.061?

Stupid phone.

The batch I made was low 60s too. I want to say maybe 63 to 65 (can't remember off hand). I think it turned out great. Might not be an exact clone of DFH 60 but I would say pretty close. Very good beer. I will definitely be brewing this again.

h22lude said:
The batch I made was low 60s too. I want to say maybe 63 to 65 (can't remember off hand). I think it turned out great. Might not be an exact clone of DFH 60 but I would say pretty close. Very good beer. I will definitely be brewing this again.

Awesome thinks. Off hand do you remember what your FG was on that batch?

I brewed this on 1/21, secondary on 1/31, cold crashed on 2/7, kegged on 2/9. I used a WhirlFloc tablet, but the beer is very cloudy (which I don't mind). How do you people get such clear beer! This tastes great, can't wait till it matures in 2-3 weeks, will be amazing.

Me everyday after bottling this beer..."Has it been 4 weeks yet?"....."Has it been 4 weeks yet"...."Has it been 3 weeks yet....:D"

Just scored some amarillo from the LHBS finally. Can't wait to make this again. It was funny, I was digging through the hop fridge looking for amarillo and it literally fell out of the fridge on top of my head, a gift from god!

Just scored some amarillo from the LHBS finally. Can't wait to make this again. It was funny, I was digging through the hop fridge looking for amarillo and it literally fell out of the fridge on top of my head, a gift from god!

Yeah, I couldn't find amarillo when I brewed. Substituted Cascade for it instead and used a pinch more. Any ideas of the major differences? AA was about the same and rebel brewer suggested it as a substitute.

Dry hopping mine currently. Going to cold crash on friday and bottle on monday or Tuesday. Then 3 weeks of waiting until trying it. The anticipation is killing me.

cossacks19 said:

My gravity was right around the same as yours...I checked mine tonight (day 10) and it was at 1.012. I'm going to rack and dry hop tomorrow night...and hopefully rinse the yeast for my imperial IPA this weekend! Wish me luck!

mckay75 said:
My gravity was right around the same as yours...I checked mine tonight (day 10) and it was at 1.012. I'm going to rack and dry hop tomorrow night...and hopefully rinse the yeast for my imperial IPA this weekend! Wish me luck!

I checked mine last night it was down to 1.010 already (day 5). Mine is definitely light in color as of right now. So your dry hopping in secondary right? Anyone ever dry hop in a keg? And what was your results.

I was thinking of letting mine go for a bit, cold crashing, and then dry hopping in the keg (in a bag) while I carb it. Any problems I might run into?

By the way tasted mine and I really like the flavors, just wish the color was slightly darker (which I know was my fault).

Yes dry hopping in secondary. Mine is light too....definitely lighter than any of the pics I've seen posted. Being my first all grain...I'm ok with it...I drank the sample when i took a reading and couldn't believe I made what I was drinking...lol.

I'm about to brew the extract version (DME) of this IPA this weekend. I just got back from by LHBS and they had everything I needed except for the Warrior hops. They suggested Nugget as a replacement so that's what I went with. After researching on here, I have found many that have said Nugget will work fine, but I didn't see anyone post results of actually using Nugget in place of the Warrior. Anyone have Nugget results?

I'm about to brew the extract version (DME) of this IPA this weekend. I just got back from by LHBS and they had everything I needed except for the Warrior hops. They suggested Nugget as a replacement so that's what I went with. After researching on here, I have found many that have said Nugget will work fine, but I didn't see anyone post results of actually using Nugget in place of the Warrior. Anyone have Nugget results?

I've used a variety of bittering hops, and nugget works fine. I've also used galena, magnum, and chinook (and probably others, but I don't have my notes available). They are are good as bittering hops in this beer.

I've used a variety of bittering hops, and nugget works fine. I've also used galena, magnum, and chinook (and probably others, but I don't have my notes available). They are are good as bittering hops in this beer.

Thanks for the encouragement and putting my mind at ease! This is only my 3rd batch ever and I am trying to do something a little different with each one to learn different processes. First batch was a Brewers Best kit with dry yeast. The second was a Fuller's London Porter Clone and I learned how to make a yeast starter on that one. Now I am trying my hand at hop characteristics and the concept of dry hopping with this recipe. I can't find the Pacman yeast around here and I really like how well the Nottingham went to work on my first batch, so I'm using it again for this IPA. First ever batch is still bottle conditioning (2 weeks this weekend), second batch is going into bottles Saturday, and third batch is going to get brewed Saturday or Sunday!

Yooper - I see from another post that you are a winter Texan at the moment. I am here permanently, but farther south than you. However, if you visit South Padre Island while you are here, you will pass right by me. Feel free to drop in for a DFH 60 clone on your way. I have to say they are going fast though.

I just took a gravity reading at 2.5 weeks in ...1.012 and delish! I must say color and flavor look and taste spot on! Many thanks Yooper!!!

My wife's uncle and I shared a pitcher last nigh. After the first sip, his reaction was "You made this?!! This is one of the best IPA's I've ever had!"

Ordering grains and hops for the second batch today.

Again, Thanks a lot for the "Best IPA" recipe Yooper.

This beer has been in the keg dry hoping for a week and it is really great! I Dont have a DFH to try it out but i dont think mine tastes quite like i remember a DHF tasting like. I WAY over shot my OG to 1.080ish and i might have added a bit more Amarillo/Simco than the recipe called for. Its not like any IPA i can remember trying (i dont think i have ever drank a beer with so much simco). There is no alcohol taste that i can pick up or any real "heat", it definitely has a dry finish. not a very strong malt mouth that i can feel, but finishes very clean and crisp. The hops is up front on my pallet and slowly goes away. very nice!

the nose is improving every day(I'm dry hoping the the keg) and has a smell like i've never smelt. i guess it is a Amarilla/simco smell. Its a really nice aroma.

The alcohol is defiantly there (9%abv) as I have only drank 2 1/2 pts and i'm starting to feel it, like a high school chick at a frat party!!!

the color is very light /yellow/carmal with a haze that is to be expected with about just over 2oz of dry hoping. This was a AG beer.:mug:
Picture009.jpg

I brewed a version of this with some grain I received for xmas. It was a 10 gallon batch, 12 gallon boil.
Grain: 20 lbs ap 2 row, 1.5 lbs crystal/caramel 120 L, 1.5 lbs crystal/caramel 80 L, .5 lb crystal/caramel 60 L.
I hopped per the instructions but added 1 oz of cascade I had. Hit an OG of 1.071. I am fairly new to brewing and was wondering how much of an impact the different specialty grain will make. I believe this grain bill was for a 5 galloUn batch of barley wine. Any input would be appreciated.

Jostci said:
I brewed a version of this with some grain I received for xmas. It was a 10 gallon batch, 12 gallon boil.
Grain: 20 lbs ap 2 row, 1.5 lbs crystal/caramel 120 L, 1.5 lbs crystal/caramel 80 L, .5 lb crystal/caramel 60 L.
I hopped per the instructions but added 1 oz of cascade I had. Hit an OG of 1.071. I am fairly new to brewing and was wondering how much of an impact the different specialty grain will make. I believe this grain bill was for a 5 galloUn batch of barley wine. Any input would be appreciated.

I am not the authority by any means but make sure to check your final gravity. I recall that perhaps all the crystal malts will prevent your gravity from getting below 1.02. I could be way off but I vaguely recall reading that somewhere. Perhaps that's why they were supposed to be used for a barleywine in that you want some residual sugars left behind. Make sure to let me know as I am trying to figure out all this stuff myself.

Well it's been in the primary for a week now, so I'm gonna move it to the secondary soon and take a gravity. Is there any disadvantage to having the extra sugars in there, and if the fermentation appears to be complete and I have a gravity of over 1.02 will it just be a heavier bodied beer or will that affect the flavor too?

Yooper - I see from another post that you are a winter Texan at the moment. I am here permanently, but farther south than you. However, if you visit South Padre Island while you are here, you will pass right by me. Feel free to drop in for a DFH 60 clone on your way. I have to say they are going fast though.

We NEVER go to SP, but if Bob gets wild and crazy, and we do head down your way, I'll take you up on your offer! We are going to Port Aransas today, to show my brother-in-law the beach before taking him to the airport in Corpus Christi for his return flight. He's from Phoenix, so I took him out to see alligators, whooping cranes, and dolphins (and believe it or not, he wanted to see wild hogs), and finally we'll show him that nice long beach.

Well it's been in the primary for a week now, so I'm gonna move it to the secondary soon and take a gravity. Is there any disadvantage to having the extra sugars in there, and if the fermentation appears to be complete and I have a gravity of over 1.02 will it just be a heavier bodied beer or will that affect the flavor too?

That much crystal will mean a much sweeter finish. This recipe has NO crystal for the AG version- so it'll be a totally different beer.

I figured it would be different, just wasn't sure how. I'm pretty new to brewing and didn't want to make a barley wine, so I just used the grain I had. As long as it turns out good ill be happy. I'm just not familiar with the flavor that the specialty grains add to the beer. How sweet are we talking?

Jostci said:

I looked it up and it appears crystal malts have some unfermentable sugars such as dextrins that are tasteless and add weight and viscosity to the beer. This results in a beer with more body but it will most likely be sweeter as well. Apparently the more the crystal malt is roasted the more additional sugars are also left behind. So you might have very well just brewed a barleywine version of the beer. Same beer just sweeter.

Sweet, thanks for the info. I'm gonna take a hydro reading in a little while and give it a taste. It's definatly darker than dfh

Would this work as a partial mash?
6lb pale malt
1lb crystal 40
4lb light dme

Same hop schedule.

Back