Dog advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sshamash

Reaction score
Hey All,

I want a dog.

A big dog at that. My issue is that I can be out of the apt for up 12 hours in a day (maybe once a week), and not sure if I can keep it cooped up like that.
I am very willing to be active with it before I leave in the morning and when I get home...just worried about the time I'm at work.

I live in DC. Any suggestions? Ways around this without hiring an expensive dog walker? Certain dogs that can handle longer days alone?

Cheers,
Saul

To be painfully blunt , gone for 12, asleep for 8. that leaves 4 hours. I think you dont have the time. I dont mean to sound like a jerk but too many people get a dog and find out they don't have the time and in the end the dog gets neglected or put in a shelter to hopefully be adopted before its time runs out and it has to be put to sleep

To be painfully blunt , gone for 12, asleep for 8. that leaves 4 hours. I think you dont have the time. I dont mean to sound like a jerk but too many people get a dog and find out they don't have the time and in the end the dog gets neglected or put in a shelter to hopefully be adopted before its time runs out and it has to be put to sleep

Agreed! But if you decide to get one anyway look at rescue instead of a new puppy. 12 hours is certainly possible with a larger breed occasionally, but as Goofy points out, you still have to have the time to dedicate to your new family member. Make no mistake, this is a big commitment for you.

I love dogs, especially big dogs! But even older big dogs (I have a lab) need exercise and companionship.

They do ok while you're at work, but it's cruel to be gone 9-12 hours a day 5 days a week. They are very social "pack" animals.

If you can afford doggy daycare, then itds be better. But not to leave a dog alone for up to 12 hours at a stretch, no matter how well meaning you may be.

Going to have to agree with the others. 12 hours in an apartment alone is not fair to the dog. Doggy day care, dog walker, or no dog. Sorry. ESPECIALLY not a large breed. It's not enough to play with the dog when you get home from work - if it's going to be cooped up all day long, it needs to run and exercise before you go to work as well. How are you with sleep deprivation?

Keep this in mind: A dog developes bladder muscle control slowly. Typically, a puppy can hold its bladder for a number of hours equal to its age in months -- so you're looking at the better part of a YEAR before the puppy doesn't need to be let out at least once during the "standard" 8 hour workday (and you're going to be getting up at least once a night for the first 3-4 months) For the first 6 months I had Sage, I might as well have cancelled my TV service, because the ONLY time I watched TV was when he woke me up at 5 AM, and I sat downstairs and played with him until it was time to go to work.

Sage is now 6 years old, and I will admit there are times that I'm gone for 12-14 hours. But he's an outdoor dog, with a 12'x12' run in the back yard. He sits on top of his doghouse all day and watches cars go by on the county road bordering my backyard - not sitting on the back of the couch staring through a window. Over the years, I've spent about $1,500 on his run -- it's got a windbreak/sunscreen, tin roof, concrete floor, heated water bowl, heated mat inside the doghouse....but that's the only way I can live with the fact that sometimes he's home alone for half the day. If he was stuck in the house..not a chance.

Got to agree my wife and i have a Border collie mix roughly 90lbs and he is a ball of energy we built an inside/outside dog run for him becuase i work 12 hours days and my wife pulls 10.Unless you have the facilities to accommodate the animal during your time away i wouldnt get one. Youd be surprised what a dog whose bored and wants to get outside is going to do to accomplish that goal, sometimes to the detriment of the animal. i would wait for when you have a better situation for dog ownership.

Get a bird, fish, or cat instead, sounds like you ain't got time for a dog. Just my opinion

Let me clarify. Although not much better, I will typically work 10 hour days--the occasional 11 (traffic parking etc...12 is not an impossibility once a month), and always one 4. I can make it a priority to work from home a little more often...now considering that...thoughts?

I absoutley hear all of your points, and I appreciate the feedback. Considering it wont be 12 hours on the regular, maybe 10 hours 4 times a week...thoughts?

Let me clarify. Although not much better, I will typically work 10 hour days--the occasional 11 (traffic parking etc...12 is not an impossibility once a month), and always one 4. I can make it a priority to work from home a little more often...now considering that...thoughts?

I absoutley hear all of your points, and I appreciate the feedback. Considering it wont be 12 hours on the regular, maybe 10 hours 4 times a week...thoughts?

Do Not Get a Dog, You Do Not Have Time For It...Get a Plant.

Cheers :mug:

I'm going to ask a lot of questions here now. Don't take it wrong; I believe everyone should have a dog... IF they are capable of taking care of it.

What is your TYPICAL day - how long from the time you leave for work to the time you come home, and how long do you typically sleep? (times would help -- leave for work at 7, home at 6, bed at 11, up at 5, etc). And once you're home from work, do you have any other commitments that take you away from the house (social life, meetings, etc.). How about the worst-case scenario - longest day of work, etc. -- will you still be able to devote an hour or two to the dog?

In short, how many hours on your typical day are you willing/able to devote completely to a dog - and how many hours on your longest day will you be able to give the dog?

Is there greenspace near your apartment for the dog to relieve itself and exercise? How far to the nearest off-leash park? Have you considered that you will be spending an extra $30-40/month for food alone, plus vet visits, toys, treats, etc. - not to mention replacing/repairing things the dog chews when it gets bored? (I paid $300 for Sage. Since then, I've probably spent over $6,000 on him for food, shelter, toys, medical...) What breed(s) of dog are you specifically looking for?

Do you plan on crate training your dog, or will you allow it to roam free in your apartment? The safe option - both for your apartment and dog - is to crate them. But 10 hours in a crate Every. Day. is quite a bit. Let the dog roam the house, and then you have the issues with digging through the trash, eating things that may hurt or kill them, chewing shoes, tables, chairs, carpet...

Honestly, while the puppy stage is one of the most enjoyable -- but trying -- stages of owning a dog, it takes a level of time and commitment I would question if you can provide (as I touched on earlier - a pup could require 4 potty breaks during the time you're at work). As has been suggested, an older dog would probably suit you better.

It is ultimately your decision, if you do decide to get a dog I encourage you to get an older dog from a shelter. that way you know what the behavior is going to be like and you do not have to worry about the house training every few hours like you would with a puppy.

I just did some quick searching online, and found two doggy day care services in the DC area; full day service for about $25-35/day. I realize that sounds like a lot of money, but I'll echo what a coworker (longtime breeder of high-end Brittany Spaniel hunting dogs) often says: "If you balk at the purchase price of a dog, you probably shouldn't be getting a dog."

The 10 hour day is still a long time for a dog to be left alone indoors; the dog would be happier and healthier if it was taken somewhere where it could socialize, play, and exercise instead of being cooped up every day. But I would say IF you do go forward and get a dog, on your 12 hour days (and even once or twice a week otherwise), PAY THE MONEY and take it to a day care.

Get an old dog. My older dogs sleep close to 22 hours a day. Get him from a shelter if possible.

If possible get a neighbor who can look in on the dog on your long days.

Working ten hour days means you are gone 11 hours at a stretch, often 4 days a week? That's cruel for a social animal. Dogs are pack animals, and while they occasionally be left alone for a fairly long stretch, they get bored and lonely.

Bored and lonely dogs can be destructive or a nuisance (barking all day long, for example).

I LOVE dogs, and my dog is a part of my family. But please don't do this to an animal, or to your neighbors who may have to listen to a dog barking for 6-7 hours at a stretch (this does happen, even with "good" dogs).

A dog is a pack animal, and you would be the pack leader. They need companionship, even if they are old. It's simply not a nice thing to do to a pack animal, to leave them alone that much.

Hit send too soon.

Anyway pick a time for his everyday walk. Best before you go to work. He will learn to do his business then and then probably sleep all day.

You should discuss your plan with the shelter. They will be concerned about the same issues expressed here. They can really help pick a dog that will suit your situation. Might not be the one you would pick but we have had good luck working with them.

It won't be easy on any dog to be gone that much without a human companion. As Yooper put it so well, dogs are pack animals and it may lead to lashing out.

I'm sure you can make it work, but a dog is a big pet commitment. You have to think about things like what you'll do if you go on vacation, what you'll do if you move, and so on so forth.

I adopted a cat about 2 years ago and it's a good thing because no one in my family in my state can take a dog in for a weekend of so at a time. But with my cat I just buy them a present and they come up and feed the cat and give it water. It poops in a box and otherwise can keep itself entertained and isn't overly destructive (though my cat does eat paper when it's hungry and has an odd obsession with Rubber/Silicone)

Honestly - sounds like you're not home enough for it to be fair to the animal. Not to mention, while you're gone for 12 hours a day your dog might be barking and destroying your apartment for 12 hours a day. Think about what is fair to the dog and to your neighbors.

Get a bird, fish, or cat instead, sounds like you ain't got time for a dog. Just my opinion

Is it okay to leave cats home alone for that long as well? I know they appear to be more independent than dogs. However, I still think they get pissed when not given enough attention.

Anyone who's had a dog and works knows that you could leave the house for 20 minutes and when you get home the dog is acting like you've been gone for 14 years. Yooper is right, they are pack animals, not loners. I realize people do it, but it's really a crappy thing to do.

Is it okay to leave cats home alone for that long as well? I know they appear to be more independent than dogs. However, I still think they get pissed when not given enough attention.

Cats don't give a crap about you! Not one bit! They WANT from you, ie. pet me, feed me, it's all about them, and really, only when you're around or they're hungry. Dogs want to please YOU, so they want you around.

When I decided to get a dog, I was faced with a similar situation, although I wasn't away for quite as long as you, I decided that either way the dog is going to get bored...so I decided on getting 2. They were from the same litter and are sisters, going on 8yrs now. Works out great...they play all the time and always have something to do. Just a thought.

Rescue a retired greyhound, they are nicknamed the 40 MPH couch potato, they lay around all day, they enjoy walks but do not need to be exercised forever like labs or border collies, and they are usually use to being crated, I am a nurse and work 12 hr shifts and $noopDogg was the best RIP. very low maintainance. Most important take your time, do your research and rescue if possible!!!

I've left my cat alone for nearly a week before (aside from food and water from my brother and sister in law), he gets all lovey when we come home,

dstuckrn said:
Rescue a retired greyhound, they are nicknamed the 40 MPH couch potato, they lay around all day, they enjoy walks but do not need to be exercised forever like labs or border collies, and they are usually use to being crated, I am a nurse and work 12 hr shifts and $noopDogg was the best RIP. very low maintainance. Most important take your time, do your research and rescue if possible!!!

I've a friend in PA that rescues greyhounds. Incredibly sweet dogs that really need a home.

Anyone who's had a dog and works knows that you could leave the house for 20 minutes and when you get home the dog is acting like you've been gone for 14 years. Yooper is right, they are pack animals, not loners. I realize people do it, but it's really a crappy thing to do.
Heck, there's days I can't go in the house to take a leak without the dog whimpering and whining like I left him forever.

First, I am a dog trainer and behaviorist.

I run a canine rescue.

Seriously, I understand you want and desire for canine companionship. But for this to work you have to be able to employ a third party to keep your pup from being bored.

Boredom in a dog is likely to lead to destruction, and further difficulties.

If you must have canine companionship, consider 2 smaller dogs to keep each other company. Shiba Inus are a good bet. They have big dog personalities with a small footprint. They are excellent apartment dogs, are fastidiously clean, and with proper training can be amazing and fun companions.

Jack Russels can be fun to, but you may have to put more work in, and will want to consider doggy daycare a couple times a week.

Miniature Aussies can be fun, again, you will want a walker or doggy daycare.

Miniature Pinschers would be an excellent choice, you will want to socialize well when they are young. They are awesome little companions with a big dog attitude.

If...If you must have a larger dog, Rottweilers, Pinschers, perhaps...

but my number one suggestion would be a retired Greyhound. A couch potato with low expectations....

I have a Jack Russell and have never left him home alone. Heck, I can't even walk outside without him getting very upset about be left alone in the house. He will literally scream if I try to leave him, at the top of his lungs. That's too long to leave your dog alone but maybe if you found the right ones, and got 2 of them to keep each other company.

Back