Does Yeast starter add to OG.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cousinz

Reaction score
First time using Wyeast (american ale 1056) propagator, which the directions show to create a 2liter starter.

Do I still make a 5 gallon batch and pitch the 2liters and what does this do to the OG of the beer?

OG is usually taken before pitching the yeast, is this correct?

Yes, OG means Original Gravity, so you measure it before fermentation takes place. I don't think the whole starter pitched will make that much of a difference, maybe a few points.

What you can do is put the starter in the fridge, let the yeast fall out of suspension then decant the used up wort (beer) off the yeast, and pitch the rest. If you do extract batches, you can use the starter as topup water. That's what I do when I make extract batches, and not worry about the OG so much.

If you pitch the whole starter, it will will drop the OG by a small amount. The started has fermented out so it will dilute the wort. However, by the time it has all fermented it won't matter too much.

In most cases after the fermentation, you will effectivly have mixed a two liters of a small beer (assuming the standard 1.040 starter) with what will probably be 19 liters of a bigger beer (assuming the average 1.050 beer). I guess that would leave you with a beer that theoretically have had an OG of 1.049.

Back