Does this seem clean enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

mdwmonster

Reaction score
Working on my second batch and I have a question about bottle cleanliness.

For the first batch, I washed all 50 bottles, then sanitized, and then filled. Washing all 50 at once seemed like a PITA, so I decided that I would wash them as I emptied them (or after 6 or so pilled up on the counter and my wife got mad at me).

If I wash them, then store them in a dry, covered box can I just rinse them, sanitize them and fill them, or do I really need to rewash them first?

samc

Reaction score
Rinse them with hot water immediately after use so nothing sticks inside. Then cleaning them and putting them away till use is fine. When I bottled I stored them upside down in the box so they would drain and keep bugs from making a home.

lustreking

Reaction score
If I wash them, then store them in a dry, covered box can I just rinse them, sanitize them and fill them
That's what I do. I use a jet carboy/bottle washer and hot water for the rinse.

If I'm really ambitious, I'll cover the opening of the bottle with a small square of aluminum foil after the initial washing, but that rarely happens.

ajwillys

Reaction score
I never washed a bottle in my life. As soon as I finished a bottle, I rinsed it very well 3-4 times by filling it, turning upside down and shaking and put it away. When it was time to use, I would put in dishwasher (without soap) on the sanitize cycle. That's it... never had an infected bottle.