Does this look right??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefstarr

Reaction score
So this is my first brew, and I'm sure like everyone's first time after 72 hrs I have yet to see the airlock do anything and I was scared my brew ( died!! ) ha ha. So I opened it up and took this picture. But mine doesn't look like anyone else's. does this look right to anyone?

image-1641946490.jpg

And I'm dieing to push all that scum build up on the sides back into the liquid cause I'm 98% sure that my hops! But know I should not stir it or anything. Any advice?

Three weeks? Then bottle?

After reading the books and stuff I was planning on transferring the brew to another fermenter for secondary fermentation. then bottle after the 2ed week.

Why do u recommend three weeks?

Three weeks? Then bottle?

After reading the books and stuff I was planning on transferring the brew to another fermenter for secondary fermentation. then bottle after the 2ed week.

Why do u recommend three weeks?

You're hitting on some of the most asked questions on this site.

The general consensus amongst experienced brewers (especially the experienced brewers on this website) is that secondaries are not necessary except for in a few certain circumstances.

The general consensus amongst experienced brewers (especially the experienced brewers on this website) is that allowing the beer to stay in the primary for 3-4 weeks is in no way detrimental to the beer and has many positive benefits and will result in beer as clear if not more clear than beer that is transferred to a secondary.

Would you like to know more? Peruse the forum.

Thank you, I guess I just havnt looked deep enough into the site. Ill have to find out if there's any tricks to help with boosting IBU , or making an IPA better.

Mine look a lot like that in the bucket. If you are not using a burp valve, I might try to keep the fermentation to a shoter time like 2 weeks max.

I worry about the beer oxidizing. While the yeast is making CO2, no problem. There is a natural seal.

He says in Dark Vader voice:

"The answers you seek can be found here as can questions you do not yet know to ask."

Welcome to the hobby and the forum, you be drinking from a fire-hose for the first few months. The hop scum you see is fine, they've already imparted their goodness to your beer at this point. Look into dry hopping if you want more aroma.

Ravenshead said:
He says in Dark Vader voice:

"The answers you seek can be found here as can questions you do not yet know to ask."

Welcome to the hobby and the forum, you be drinking from a fire-hose for the first few months. The hop scum you see is fine, they've already imparted their goodness to your beer at this point. Look into dry hopping if you want more aroma.

That sounds more like a Yoda riddle.

Yoda would be more like:

"Answers you seek can be found here as can be those you do not know"

It's called reverse something-or-other only English majors know. I'm an engineer so I only know because I'm a Star Wars geek.

Yeah put the lid back on and wait, but still look at it to observe the stages it goes through so you can get to know fermentation characteristics and how different yeast behave.

Back