Does this look infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelGimpson

Reaction score
This is a Rye IPA. It has been 'fermenting' for about 3 weeks. I didnt see much coming out of the air lock so I may have not gotten a good seal.

Anyway, when i go to keg i noticed these white spots/spheres on the yeast cake that gets stuck to the walls after fermentation or whatever. It caught my eye because i have never noticed these before.
No abnormal scents came from the beer, and there wasnt anything on the surface prior to siphoning.

What do you guys think this is?

Thanks

As the beer looks pristine I'm tempted to believe the bucket klingons are trub/yeast/dessicated proteins 'n' stuff.

Carry on...

Idk man, I have been brewing for years and this is the first time I have seen this.

You have to look close to see the bacteria. Ita definitely there

Dont you see the white spot build-up?

As long as it doesn't start to form on the beer, I think you're fine. Beer very quickly becomes inhospitable to molds with the pH, alcohol, and hops.

Edit: I thought you said white mold spots. I can't really tell what those white spots are, but I still stand by most of what I said. If you keg you're golden, just drink it fast. If you bottle, just make sure nothing is going on with your gravity, and shoot for a little lower carb just in case

To me, the varying size white spots above the krausen look like they might be yeast colonies. Definitely nothing bad, however. :mug:

Back