does this crush look alright?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so my new camera isn't much better then the old one.....i pull 90% effec with a two step 150f, 162f mash with this.....

what do you guys think? :mug:

crush1.jpg
crush2.jpg

the second photo in my hand doesn't show the 10-15% flour clearly......

just really thought i'd share, this is a crush on an old JSP Mill set at 0.028"...sprages fine with a round cooler and bazooka tube.....

That would be a stuck sparge in mu M&B. But if it works for you then great. I get 90%+ with way more coarse than that.

but gosh that's a lot of flour, dough balls, potential husk tannins, etc.

i find that the dough balls cook out, like waffles or biscuits.....i have been thinking of maybe an upgrade to a three roller mill....see if i can keep my nice fine grits, and lose the flour......

Sorry. Mash & Boil 7.5g unit I have.

LOL, i'd hate to say that still doesn't help me.....i mash and boil too! i just mashed in my cooler, and sparged, and now set the spurs to boil....with that crush.....no problem with run-off...(damn i forgot to drop a hydro in the kettle to get a pre-boil gravity reading....thanks for reminding me!)

edit: just dropped my "plain-form" hydro in it at 165f....got 1.032 on 14 gallons, plan on boiling it down to 10....DAMN! that gives a prediction of a OG of 1.071 for 20lb's of base malt and 1 lb of crystal! could be a good batch.....pull 93% effec, beats the hell out of when i got low 60's in the beginning of brewing journey 15 years ago! :D

Last edited:
Ok. Maybe you know what a Grainfather unit is? Robobrew? Just like that.

those are the fancy contraptions, with the pumps and pulleys, and baskets and stuff......as long as it makes an alcoholic liquid, i still will drink a beer to our mutual independence! :mug:

just really thought i'd share, this is a crush on an old JSP Mill set at 0.028"...sprages fine with a round cooler and bazooka tube.....

If you can drain the mash tun without getting stuck, the finer your milling the better. Flour isn't a problem unless it clogs the drain.

potential husk tannins, etc.

Tannin extraction requires too high of a temp and too high of a pH. Control one, no extraction. Control both, no extraction. You should see the milling I use.

Back