Does th alcohol content go up after it is bottled??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mroyer747

Reaction score
Was wondering if the alcohol content goes up after you bottle??? I'm doing an EPA and my OG was 1.042 and I'm at 1.010 tonight..I left it in the primary for the full 2 weeks because it was very slow and just wanted to get what I can out of it. Tonight I did move it to the secondary and im wondering?? How long till I bottle??? And will my alcohol content go up after I bottle?? Will there still be enough yeast to carbonate since it was such a slow process?? Any advice please fill free!!!!

There's a slight rise in ABV from fermentation of the priming sugar for carbonation. Exactly how much of a rise you'll see I'm not exactly sure but it could be anywhere from 0.2% to 0.5% depending on what sort of carbonation level volumes you are shooting for.

In the ABV calculator I used it shows your OG to FG ABV at around 4.3% so I'd imagine you'll hit slightly sub 5%. Not necessarily a bad thing as sometimes lower ABV beers can be just as satisfying and tasty as higher ABV brews.

Hope this is of some help and consolation:mug:

Editing to add that you shouldn't really have any problem with carbonation as there will still be a fair amount of yeast in solution to work on converting the priming sugar to CO2 and Alcohol.

What sort of temperature range is the yeast you used suitable for?? Were you fermenting at the bottom end of its range, or even slightly lower?? Try to keep the bottled batch at around 70F or slightly above for the duration of carbonation (about three weeks)
A lot of people here tend to go for three week in primary and forget about transferring to secondary, unless adding fruit or some other additive.

Back