does sanitize water "go bad"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theintern43

Reaction score
so I brewed on March 25th and made a sanitizer solution, I plan on bottling on Sunday, can I use the same sanitizer solution or should I make a new solution? it's been in my clean boil pot with a lid on it, 5g of it

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

it was the stock sanitizer that came with the recipe

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Likely it is no longer worth taking the chance. Get yourself a bottle of Star San. You can mix that up and keep it for a long time!

Id also recommend buying some litmus paper, and check the acidity of starsan every so often, im impressed at how long starsan lasts.

I have found mold growing on the inside of the lid of my bucket with star san. With that said, I use my star san solutions for months. I do check the pH before using old solution. But I probably let it go a couple months and then replace, but I always check for any signs of infection.

Seems crazy that sanitizer would get contaminated, but there was a case of Kleenex hand sanitizer getting contaminated, so it's possible.

Id also recommend buying some litmus paper, and check the acidity of starsan every so often, im impressed at how long starsan lasts.

At what point is star San not effective, what PH am I looking for!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back