Does Priming Sugar Settle or Suspend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendlodc

Reaction score
After I stir in my cooled priming sugar solution, I usually only let the fermented wort sit for a few minutes before bottling.

For my next batch, I would like to let it set for a longer time so that sediment has a chance to settle back to the bottom of the carboy before bottling.

My question is how long can I let the carboy sit before I have to worry about the priming sugar settling out too? Or does it always just stay suspended in the fermented wort?

What's the best practice for wait time after priming and before bottling?

Regardless of the vessel you are bottling from, I think the priming sugar would stay suspended as long as it was fully dissolved in the first place.

But, yeah, +1 on the bottling bucket.

Then that sort of defeats the purpose of a secondary...you kick all the stuff you spent 2 or more weeks patiently settling down the moment you stirred in the sugar.

Why don't you want to use a bottling bucket?

Thx for the advice on the bottling bucket, but my question still remains...

Does priming sugar settle or suspend?

Thx for the advice on the bottling bucket, but my question still remains...

Does priming sugar settle or suspend?

It really doesn't matter in your case because everything else is kicked up!

But if it's boiled in liquid then it is dissolved into the solutions...so I guess the answer is yes...but more like merged...

Then that sort of defeats the purpose of a secondary...you kick all the stuff you spent 2 or more weeks patiently settling down the moment you stirred in the sugar.

That's why I am asking how long I can let it set for? I'd like to let it sit for a few hours so all sediment settles back down, but am curious how this effects the priming sugar.

That's why I am asking how long I can let it set for? I'd like to let it sit for a few hours so all sediment settles back down, but am curious how this effects the priming sugar.

I think the sugar would stay suspended if it was fully dissolved in the first place.

If you are really concerned about it, then you might want to consider priming the bottles individually with carefully measured amounts of sugar or carbonation tablets.

You don't need a bucket with a spigot for bottling. Any bucket, empty carboy, or even a beverage cooler would do.

One less thing to clean.
Less risk of contamination.
Not a big fan of plastic.
Less risk of oxidation.

Less risk of contamination.- Not if done properly....None of us have had that issue how are you different?

Not a big fan of plastic.- It spends maybe an hour in the bucket...won't harm your beer...None of us have had that issue, how are you different?

Less risk of oxidation.-Not if done properly....None of us have had that issue how are you different?

But hey...it's your beer...We're just trying to help...

Have fun!

I think the sugar would stay suspended if it was fully dissolved in the first place.

If you are really concerned about it, then you might want to consider priming the bottles individually with carefully measured amounts of sugar or carbonation tablets.

You don't need a bucket with a spigot for bottling. Any bucket, empty carboy, or even a beverage cooler would do.

Yeah if I were going to bottle from secondary straight...I'd add prime tabs. WOuldn't worry then about kicking anything up in secondary.

Ok, fair enough about all the bottling bucket advice.

But my question is about priming sugar staying in solution or falling out. (If those are the right terms.) It seems the consensus so far is that if the sugar is dissolved properly it stays suspended until consumed by the yeast.

Yeah if I were going to bottle from secondary straight...I'd add prime tabs. WOuldn't worry then about kicking anything up in secondary.

I bottled straight from the secondary...once. :)

But my question is about priming sugar staying in solution or falling out. (If those are the right terms.) It seems the consensus so far is that if the sugar is dissolved properly it stays suspended until consumed by the yeast.

That's my intuition; I can't claim any science to back me up. It just seems to me that once the sugar is dissolved, it won't preciptate out again at room temps. I would make sure its well mixed, too.

That's my intuition; I can't claim any science to back me up. It just seems to me that once the sugar is dissolved, it won't preciptate out again at room temps. I would make sure its well mixed, too.

I would concur. Never seen a sugary beverage (like a coke) layer out.

I bottled straight from the secondary...once. :)

Methinks I understand....once was enough eh???:D

AND OP, Beertoven and myself are probably two of the most experienced or at least knowledgeable and/or helpful brewers on here...and we can't give you the answer you are looking for...simply because, you don't find many people who do what you insist on doing...bottling from the secondary...For the reasons I gave....It defeats the entire purpose of using a secondary.

Anything we're gonna say is conjecture.

So if you insist on doing it your way...you're kinda on your own...as you saw from everyone else who jumped it, using the bottling bucket is the easiest and preferred method for most of us. Someone else on here racks to his kettle and then siphons from that to his bottles. It's a little odd, but it is the same principle; getting the beer away from the settled stuff in the carboy, and evenly mixing the priming solution with the beer.

But you wont find many people who insist on bottling from the secondary or primary usually they are less set in their ways and take the advice of those who have been doing it for awhile...Like this.

We're not telling you to do it to jerk your chain...we're suggesting you take our advice because we know what we're doing.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-bucket-do-i-need-97629/

So if you insist on doing it your way..

...we're suggesting you take our advice because we know what we're doing.

Not insisting on anything, I appreciate the advice. And actually just got the bottling bucket out and sanitzing it right now.

Not insisting on anything, I appreciate the advice. And actually just got the bottling bucket out and sanitzing it right now.

good man. i think that racking the beer from secondary onto the cooled dissolved priming sugar solution is the best way to ensure an even mix. i'd think that mixing the solution into the secondary was a bigger risk of oxidation than using a bottling bucket - assuming you have a decent syphon that will allow you to limit splashing to a minimum.

Back