Does Kveik handle warm shipping temps better than other liquid yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a group of guys coming over in a few weeks for a football party, and I know my beer supply will be taking a hit, so I'd like to get a head start on my next batch. I tend to avoid brewing beers that use liquid yeast during the summer months. In fact, my schedule usually works out so I brew in the fall through spring, and just drink beer in the summer. :mug:

Anyway, I've had my eye on Northern Brewer's Legend of Lutra kit (uses Omega's OYL-071 Lutra Kveik yeast), and I was wondering if Kveik yeast handles higher shipping temps any better than other liquid yeasts, since it can ferment at such high temps? We're in the middle of a heat wave right now - mid to upper 90s for the next seven days, then high 80s the week after, if the forecast holds.

I'll need a starter (probably 0.6L to 1.0L, depending on the age of the yeast), which should prove viability. So should I order it when our highs will be in the upper 80s, or wait a few weeks and hope we get some fall temps?

Thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back