Does it "muddy" the beer if you blend hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
I have been one that uses several types of hops per brew but only uses one type of hop at a time, for example:

Columbus @ 60
Chinook @ 20
Centennial @ 5

What would be the difference if I was do brew an IPA like this:

.5oz Columbus first wort
.5oz Centennial first wort
.5oz Chinook first wort

.5oz Columbus 15mins
.5oz Centennial 15mins
.5oz Chinook 15mins

2oz Cascade 1min

3oz Cascade dry hop

Obviously the aroma of the cascade would show through but what would be the main charactersitic difference in the combination of hops?

I think you'll notice a more "smooth" hop presence throughout the beer. This is exactly how I like to hop my IPAs.

It all depends on your tastes. Some people enjoy the particular bitterness, flavor, and aroma of one hop...others like to use one hop for bittering, another for flavor, and yet another for aroma, because of the different character it will add. And still others do what you do. Try what you've got now, and drink it fast so you can try something else!

It all depends on your tastes. Some people enjoy the particular bitterness, flavor, and aroma of one hop...others like to use one hop for bittering, another for flavor, and yet another for aroma, because of the different character it will add. And still others do what you do. Try what you've got now, and drink it fast so you can try something else!

What he said... blending is not bad in and of itself, at all. Play with it and find something that works for you. Look on the bright side, many experiments make for much beer!

Latest posts

Back