Does everyone worry and fuss about their first batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubapoet

Reaction score
I seem to be, as my wife says, over thinking everything.
So... do you think this is just because it is all new to me and the more I do it the more I will relax?

My first batch, Porter, is in the fermenter and I will calm down till it goes in the bottler.

In a month or so I will see what I have and maybe I will stop stressing over every little detail.

:mug:

So... do you think this is just because it is all new to me and the more I do it the more I will relax?

My first batch, Porter, is in the fermenter and I will calm down till it goes in the bottler.

In a month or so I will see what I have and maybe I will stop stressing over every little detail.

I fuss over every batch.

My first brew was a partial mash. I stressed it. Since then it's been all grain, and I stressed over the first few. Recently, I did another partial mash and I stressed it all over again. Conclusion: if you're not familiar with the process, you'll likely stress over it. And with familiarity you'll (mostly) get over it.

Wives are always right.
Ask your wife. She will confirm that this is so.
Ask your wife. She will either say this is true, or will say it's false and you won't calm down until you start (or finish) drinking it. Whichever she says, she will be right.
I'm sure your wife will confirm that "maybe" is the right word to use here.

-a.

I can't remember the first one. I'm over 200 and I still over think everything. I don't care (worry) about my sanitation anymore; I know everything will be drinkable, but there are a lot of other things I spend hours worrying about, such as, mash temp, ferment temp, clearing, .... but most of all, it's trying to create the next brew.

I'm on my first batch as well, and it's all I can think about and talk about. I don't feel stressed, I feel anxious... yet patient. Patiently anxious with a smile.

Start another batch . It'll help ease the stress .:mug:

If I had another Carboy I might :D I do have a Nut Brown Ale next. Mmmm beer

ajf said:
Originally Posted by scubapoet
Wives are always right.
Ask your wife. She will confirm that this is so.
Ask your wife. She will either say this is true, or will say it's false and you won't calm down until you start (or finish) drinking it. Whichever she says, she will be right.
I'm sure your wife will confirm that "maybe" is the right word to use here.

LOL she often is right. But don't tell her that. :p

It is pretty exciting and as simple as making beers is its complex to make good beer. Especially the beer you like, follow the ingredients of your favorite beers,know the grains ,hops. and learn the yeast.Its all about time and temperature also. Try making some styles or clones or recipes of you favorite beers to drink.taste the grains and smell the hops.Its really about learning the puzzle of beer making its challenging and fun and you can still drink your mistakes.

i am about 15 batches in and i still fuss over what i will be brewing next. not so much on what i have in primary now, but what will be the next adventure and how i can make my pale ale perfect. until then, i will fuss.

I'm more in line with Calder. I'm more worried about the finer points now than the broader ones. Looking for ways I can improve the process, maintaining the correct temps, etc.

Worrying about your creation is natural. Just like any chef worries about his creation. However, if you followed the directions carefully and didn't have any major errors along the way, there's a good chance of producing a great beer. Confidence comes with experience. Good brewing.

NRS

the first batch, yes. now its not such a big deal. espcially once i get it into primary, smooth sailing.

scubapoet said:

I definitely over though the first batch. Then the second. But over tome you get better at the techniques and it gets easier.

When folks say they get fussy over every batch it doesn't mean they worry lime the first batch.

They are trying to get things just so but they know most of the techniques so it is a different thing, challenging rather than daunting.

You can read up on brewing and have the theory but brewing is like Chem lab where you get to see how it works up close.

I predict you'll be more confident after a few batches.

I still worry!! But I worry less that I did on the first few...and about different things...

I agree the best cure is to get more batches going!

You wanna know how I got this belly? weeeell...my father was,a drinker. And a beer fiend. Aaand one day,he goes & gets drunker than usual. He gets mom drunk,turns to me,& says "why so serious-a? Lets put a smile on that face"!! :eek: I'm only on my 2nd one,but since I'm retired,I have more time to read,learn,& research. This 2nd batch was my own recipe,& I'm gunna tweak it more on the next one. But I'm already learning to relax,& let the beer run it's course.

I think it's part of the experience.

Beer is...well....it's almost magical. It's part of our everyday lives but so rarely ever did we have the audacity to think for a split second that this wonderful substance could possible be manufactured in our own homes! Who are we to think we can accomplish such a feat?

But still it sits in our minds.....and one day we get the gumption up and borrow a stock pot and buy the fermenting kit and a can of whatever it is were looking to make and give it our best shot.

We follow the instructions to a "T." We expect something magic to happens, some magical light coming from the kettle, small happy gnomes to emerge from the fermenter or a unicorn to appear and help us as we bottle.......but none of that comes.

So, no magic happens....just ordinary things.....some bubbles in the airlock, a little heat in the fermenter and even some good smells.

Sure....something must be amiss. I mean, this is beer were making after all.....as Homer Simpson put it "The reason for and the cure to all of life's problems."

There's no way what we did could have possible been good enough to make that fantastic stuff. But sure enough, we squint at the bottles for a few weeks, tap on a few and then decide that we either need to figure out whether it actually worked out or we need the floor space in the living room back....so we crack one open.

And sure enough....it's beer....and it's kinda magical.

I've brewed only 4 batches and I worried about the first but I'm over it now. I trust my procedures and ability ti follow instructions. All my beer has turned out delicious. As you progress you'll find tools, tricks and good info here. Just relax and have a home brew. Reading the joy of home brewing, if you haven't already, will certainly calm the nerves.

Yeah my wife gives me crap when I go by and sniff the airlock.....she thinks that's weird. Other than that no worries..:D

I did not worry or fuss about my first completely solo batch. I know I screwed up several times along the way, forgot to do certain things, did other things wrong including one fairly major error ...

But eh. No big deal. Worst case scenario is that you get a bunch of mediocre beer. That's not really a terrible thing. It just means you get to brew some more!

I drove myself insane wondering whether I cleaned and sanitized well enough with my first brew. Leading up to my first brew day all I read and heard from people is to make sure that everything is cleaned and sanitized. I was worried sick that I ruined my beer because I didn't clean and/or sanitize sufficiently. That beer and every beer since has turned out amazing. No more worries.

Yeah my wife gives me crap when I go by and sniff the airlock.....she thinks that's weird. Other than that no worries..:D

i do this too. its not weird. its just me being anxious to taste this beer. not weird. tell me im not weird

Beer is...well....it's almost magical. It's part of our everyday lives but so rarely ever did we have the audacity to think for a split second that this wonderful substance could possible be manufactured in our own homes! Who are we to think we can accomplish such a feat?

But still it sits in our minds.....and one day we get the gumption up and borrow a stock pot and buy the fermenting kit and a can of whatever it is were looking to make and give it our best shot.

We follow the instructions to a "T." We expect something magic to happens, some magical light coming from the kettle, small happy gnomes to emerge from the fermenter or a unicorn to appear and help us as we bottle.......but none of that comes.

So, no magic happens....just ordinary things.....some bubbles in the airlock, a little heat in the fermenter and even some good smells.

Sure....something must be amiss. I mean, this is beer were making after all.....as Homer Simpson put it "The reason for and the cure to all of life's problems."

There's no way what we did could have possible been good enough to make that fantastic stuff. But sure enough, we squint at the bottles for a few weeks, tap on a few and then decide that we either need to figure out whether it actually worked out or we need the floor space in the living room back....so we crack one open.

(sniff, sniff)

that was beautiful man!!:tank:

SO SAY WE ALL! :mug:

And yes, I fussed like hell on my first batch. I took a video of the bubbling airlock on my phone and sent it to SWMBO. I still fuss a little.... I take a look at it everyday to make sure it's healthy and isn't lonely. The first few days during primary fermentation I'll just squat down and watch the yeast-blizzard for a while. It's quite comforting.

Latest posts

Back