Does DMS go away/Perfect natural lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbarnes5000

Reaction score
I started my first lager about three weeks ago. It is a Octoberfest OG ~1.043. I had it in the primary for two weeks and racked it last weekend. I smells alot like creamed corn. Will this aroma go away or am I stuck with a corny beer?

Perfect natural lagering - In Oly, WA when I started my lager it was getting cooler and my garage was keeping between 48-53 degrees. Now that I am into the lagering the cokd snap has hit and it is keeping between 38-43. Perfect for the no worrys brewing I am doing.

I started my first lager about three weeks ago. It is a Octoberfest OG ~1.043. I had it in the primary for two weeks and racked it last weekend. I smells alot like creamed corn. Will this aroma go away or am I stuck with a corny beer?

I dont think so. The last chance to vent off some DMS is vigorous fermentation.
However - I have heard of a practice called "scrubbing" - you could vent your beer using CO2 from the bottle and aeration stone. But I've never tried this, and I'm not sure if it will help with DMS.

as far as I know (reading, hanging out on the forum)...no, if you didn't drive off the DMS during the boil, and halted it with a fast cooldown post-boil...you're stuck with the cooked veggie/cabbage/corn flavor and aroma.

It might lighten a little, but it's there for good.

i thought that dms could be cleaned up by the yeast if you raised the fermentation temp at the end of fermentation for last couple points and a little time while the yeast was crashing before secondary and lagering.

i thought that dms could be cleaned up by the yeast if you raised the fermentation temp at the end of fermentation for last couple points and a little time while the yeast was crashing before secondary and lagering.

That's diacetyl, not DMS.

If it is, in fact, DMS then no it won't go away. However, I've sampled some of my lagers at racking, bottling, etc. that had odd, corny-like flavors (that couldn't have been DMS due to my boiling and cooling techniques) that totally cleared up in the finished beer to be clean and malty. So, unless you are certain it's DMS (like you used lots of Pilsener malt and did a 60 minute boil with the lid on and took an hour to cool it down below 80°F), I wouldn't lose hope.

I guess you do 90 min boils with no lid.
Could you specify how vigorously you boil (evaporation rate?) and how fast you cool below 80F?

Yes on the 90 min boils/no lid. I boil fairly vigorously, but not insanely vigorous (it's a good "rolling" boil). I get below 80°F in 10-15 minutes and it's usually 11-12 gallons (42-45 liters) wort.

I usually have a pretty good boil going, 60 min and no lid. I used amber extract with speciality grains for the grain bill. I think what I did was when it came time to cool I jumped the gun and pitched too warm. It was dark when I was done and I was getting antsy, and I think I pitched over 80. I tried the Octoberfest the other day and it is still pretty corny. I guess I will just wait and see.

This way you'd get diacetyl, not DMS. Are you sure it is corny, not buttery?

When I first got a whiff of it I thought "Wow, that is what they mean by cream corn smell." Puls I gave it a diacetyl rest at the end of primary and it didn't seem to help.
But, you know this is my first time with this problem so I will wait a while and see if it dissapates.

Chances are though that I am just going to have to do another lager.:D

Apparently, all beers contain some level of DMS, some styles make it more or less noticeable. I'm currently fermenting a kit of Cooper's European Lager and I've noticed a sulfurous smell that has slowly faded with a draughtier backbone rising up. I'm not too worried about it as it was not fault of my own, Im sure it will be fine. I used mostly spring water with my brew which has a sulphate level of 5 ppm. So I pin it down to the grains used in the brewery. The packet did say I should expect this. The only cure to a situation like this that I can come up with, is a longer fermentation time at low temperatures; in the hopes that most of the gas with evaporate before the yeast starts to cark it.:tank:

Yeah I made my Bitburg ale and in my stupidity left the lid half way on my pot during my 90 min boil. It's been in primary about 4 weeks and I tasted last night, it tastes horrid the dms completely overpowers any other flavor. Looks like this beer will be used for cooking, and bread. I am gonna brew it again and just pitch it on the same yeast cake.

I am kind of sad though because I was able to ferment it in the low 60s, now that it is warming up it will be a bit warmer :/

Back