Does Anyone Use All Dry Malt Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85 Haro Designs

Reaction score
I have some left over ingredients that I want to use to make my next 5 gallon batch. I've never used dry malt extract before other than to make yeast starters.

Is it possible to make a wort from entirely dry malt extract, no syrup at all? :confused:

It sure is. Lots of people do it, and some will only use DME instead of LME. It's really a personal preference thing. If you look around you will find plenty of recipes that call for DME. If it calls for LME then just multiply the amount by 0.89 and that is the amount of DME you need.

It's possible, but you'll need some additional stuff. At the very least you need to add the hops yourself, which you may not have done if you're used to using pre-hopped liquid malt extract (LME). You may also want to look at some steeping grains to give the DME some more character. It won't be very interesting on its own.

Let us know how it goes!
Jay

What captainjay said is correct. I just assumed adding the steeping grains and hops went without saying. Just DME would be a nasty beer.

Looks like he has Amarillo hops in mind for his next batch. Good stuff.

I am a big fan of steeping Crystal grains and Carapils in my IPA's.

I'm in danger of stating the obvious here, but LME and DME both end in the letters M and E (Malt Extract) In others words, it's all malt extract. I never used DME for my extract brews. I think I should have done from what I have read of other people's experiences on this forum. If I ever do another extract brew I would certainly try an all DME based brew just to learn the difference for myself. Trying it yourself is the best way to learn. :)

I switched from LME to DME a few brews ago and now that is my only extract (unless I HAVE to use LME for a particular recipe, because some recipes call for a particular extract only available form one source or only in LME, but that is rare).

Of course now I'm getting into AG, so I might only ever use DME to get my target OG, but I may some day brew with extract again if I am in a hurry or helping a friend get started.

Anyway, it's basically the same stuff, just spray-dried to make it lighter and easier to handle and keep longer.

I don't know why but I thought it was unusual to use all dry malt extract for an extract brew. Obviously, I'm still sort of "new" to this, it's only been a year for me.

I will be using some steeping grains as well so that should help. I'm interested in how it will come out. So far, I've been really successful with all my brews (knock on wood).

I still can't get over how tasty they are. I just had an IPA I brewed last April! It was delicious!

Thanks for all the help.

It's not unusual. In my case, I almost always used DME unless I had a special recipe that required a certain LME. Like a recipe that needed pilsner extract- that only comes in LME. Where I live, there aren't any local stores to buy supplies, so I make all-DME and grain beers because the LME wouldn't be fresh and it is heavier to ship.

If the LME comes from a store with high turnover, it's fresh and pretty good. If it's not fresh, though, it makes a "twangy" tasting beer. You don't get that with DME (plus it stores well if you keep it tightly sealed) so I used DME almost exclusively.

I always thought the conversion was .8, not .89 (and 1.25 going the other way)? Maybe I'm just confused... :confused:

All the extract or extract with grains recipes that I did (and occasionally still do) use dry....I only used LME twice...quite frankly I prefer dry...I think you can make better beers with DME, than LME....

I don't want to give any wrong info, and it looks like I've been doing it wrong, so I found this. Brewing Formulas. I hope this helps and I'll try not to give any other wrong info again. :mug:

That's a great resource! Thanks for posting it. It corrects some of my incorrect assumptions too. BTW, it looks like the .89 conversion is for pounds of specialty grains to pounds of dark liquid extract, which itself is a very useful number to have! :mug:

im kneww also but i use a lme in what is becoming my quick and easy house brew 5 Gallons. And then I just use just all DME,steep grains, sugers, honey, hops, ect ext for my new adventures which are usually just 2 1/2 gallon brews. making it easy to experiment and change things up. am rally enjoying it. working on a Honey Bikini Lime now

allright guys, they said there would be no math involved

Jokes on you :)

formulas.jpg

I don't know why but I thought it was unusual to use all dry malt extract for an extract brew. Obviously, I'm still sort of "new" to this, it's only been a year for me.

I will be using some steeping grains as well so that should help. I'm interested in how it will come out. So far, I've been really successful with all my brews (knock on wood).

I still can't get over how tasty they are. I just had an IPA I brewed last April! It was delicious!

Thanks for all the help.

Are you using a recipe or just making one up? What sort of style are you going for? Post it either here or in the recipes forum to get some feedback.

I always thought the conversion was .8, not .89 (and 1.25 going the other way)? Maybe I'm just confused... :confused:

+1 on thinking the conversion was .8. I exclusively use DME. I did once make a beer with just DME and what turned out to be not enough hops. Was kind of bland (which explains why the family liked it :) ). But certainly was not bad enough not to drink! Definitely get steeping grains.

Good luck

Can I ask a question about this?

I have been using ready made kits of LME, i.e. a tin containing all the ingredients, hops etc I presume.

I have been adding half a bag of "Dry Spray malt" which I am now confused about.

I thought the Spray Malt was like adding extra sugar to boost the alcohol content, but I am now wondering if Spray Malt (which is also marketed as "beer enhancer") is what you guys are calling DME.

In other words am I adding this Malt to boost the sugar content but it's actually the equivalent of the tinned stuff???

Yes, dry spray malt is DME. You have just been adding extra fermentables to your beer and upping the alcohol content. No harm, no foul.

I had 1-2 lbs (don't remember) left over on a shelf in my brewing room. I made a 1.75G Batch with just the DME and some Galena HOPS I had from doing a SMaSH brew. I guess it was extract version of the same SMaSH I did with the Marris Otter. I am still getting that twang that I seemed to get with all my extract. But I also used the same speckled boil pot that has a nick on the inside of the enamel. It's drinkable, but I wouldn't give it to guests. I have 2 bottles in the fridge with the remaining 7 conditioning. Hoping they get better. But if I was doing it as an attempt as making a decent beer (i was just clearing out ingredients that needed used) I'd add some crystal at least.

I am still getting that twang that I seemed to get with all my extract. But I also used the same speckled boil pot that has a nick on the inside of the enamel.

No wonder you get a twang. Any small nick in those things allows metal to leech into your beer. Toss it. That's an order!

(Disclaimer: It's not really an order, but I'd toss it anyway.)

Yes, dry spray malt is DME. You have just been adding extra fermentables to your beer and upping the alcohol content. No harm, no foul.

In fact, most people recommend using DME instead of sugar with those pre-hopped kits. It helps the flavor and body significantly--sugar will boost the alcohol, but thin out the beer.

Back