Does anyone know of a good water tester?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for a tester that will provide accurate enough data to provide me with all the relative information to brewing so I can adjust for the style of beer I would like to brew.

I have heard of Wards lab but I am hoping there was something I could have at home so that it could be tested on brew day in case of any changes.

I also know the city puts out reports but the latest one here is from 2007 and a lot of the data says it hasn't been tested since 2005 and not all of the data that I need is there. To top it off, I called the city and they gave me the number of the lady I need to talk to and either she doesn't like to answer her phone or she is on vacation as she does not return my voicemails either.

Is this kind of equipment off the charts for price or is there a consumer level with this kind of product?

I too was wondering about this. My water report is fairly inaccurate, giving Minimum, Maximum and Average measurements. I usually go by the average but there is a pretty big swing from Minimum and Maximum on some. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

I am looking for a tester that will provide accurate enough data to provide me with all the relative information to brewing so I can adjust for the style of beer I would like to brew.

I have heard of Wards lab but I am hoping there was something I could have at home so that it could be tested on brew day in case of any changes.

I also know the city puts out reports but the latest one here is from 2007 and a lot of the data says it hasn't been tested since 2005 and not all of the data that I need is there. To top it off, I called the city and they gave me the number of the lady I need to talk to and either she doesn't like to answer her phone or she is on vacation as she does not return my voicemails either.

Is this kind of equipment off the charts for price or is there a consumer level with this kind of product?

I found this site that sells test kits for many different things. The individual kits for Ca, Mg, Na, SO4, Cl and HCO3 would probably be around $200.00. However, there are about 100 tests per kit so you could check your water every day before you brew and make the proper adjustments according to style/preference. This is what I'm hoping to do. Hope this site helps!
Results for A Hanna Chemical Test Kits

i would be careful ordering anything from that place. i had to go through my bank to cancel an order there, and there were a few other similar complaints with the better business bureau i found.

i would be careful ordering anything from that place. i had to go through my bank to cancel an order there, and there were a few other similar complaints with the better business bureau i found.

Can you explain a little bit more, please. If nothing else, do so through a Private Message. Thanks!

Back