Does anyone have this burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have it and it is awesome. Puts out like 150,000btus, and boils 6.4 gallons in my turkey fryer in no time. Used to take 30-40 minutes with my 10 psi regulator, now with this 2o psi is closer to 20 minutes...

carnevoodoo said:

Sounds like it could have enough output. The burner is $29+, they add a 30 qt aluminum pot to make a turkey fryer for $49+. Is aluminum OK, bad, or neutral for a brew pot? I'm using my wife's 20 qt stainless steel pot - she would like to get me out of that.

2pugbrews said:
Sounds like it could have enough output. The burner is $29+, they add a 30 qt aluminum pot to make a turkey fryer for $49+. Is aluminum OK, bad, or neutral for a brew pot? I'm using my wife's 20 qt stainless steel pot - she would like to get me out of that.

Sounds like you do extract brews with a pot that size?

There's a debate around the intarweb about SS vs. aluminum. Some people swear by SS, others say aluminum is just fine. I think you'd be ok with the aluminum pot. I got lucky on my pot and found it on CL for $30.

I have the SP-50, with a 20 psi regulator, which is identical except that it is 21" tall. I have a 9 gal pot with a valve. This allows me to gravity feed through a chiller into the carboy.

No lifting of a large pot full of boiling liquid for me, thank you.

Have it. It cranks! A bit of a pain to fine -tune a low flame but other than that, love it!

Oh, I paid $50. Grab it @ $30! I saw it @ HD after I bought mine but it was I think still $40 or so. Must be being discontinued.

2pugbrews said:
Aluminum is fine, even Metallurgist and homebrew guru John Palmer says so. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Just be careful when cleaning it, not to remove it's protective coating.

2pugbrews said:

You'll be just fine with Aluminum. It conducts heat/cold better so you'll be able to heat it faster and more evenly when you want to and cool it faster when you want to. Also, aluminum is easier to drill when you want to add that welb-b-gone spigot with hop strainer and sight-glass after a few brews.

30 qt. really isn't that much, but will work fine for now, and in the future will work great as an HLT when you make the switch to all-grain and larger batches.

I have that burner. I got it at amazon tho for $42...free shipping. How much is HD charging for shipping?

The burner is great...only thing I don't like about it is that my keggle doesn't fit on it. I have to use the grate from my grill and put the keggle on top of it. But it works great.

2pugbrews said:

The burner for $29. has a 20psi regulator. The turkey fryer set comes with a 10psi regulator. The burner alone costs $18 shipping (= $48.) The turkey fryer set for $49+ - free shipping. 2 questions:
1. Is the burner with the 10psi regulator adequate for a)a partial boil, b)a full boil?
2. Would it be ok to swap the 10psi regulator for a 20psi regulator?

BTW, the HD in store price for the burner is $45 with a 10psi regulator - the set is like $65 or $70.

Latest posts

Back