Does anybody use a drill pump with a CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goswell

Reaction score
I'm thinking about building a counterflow chiller but I don't gravity will get the wort through the chiller and I don't want the expense of a March Pump. I thought a drill pump would work but I'm not sure that they are clean or can hold up to temps.

The temps would be real iffy. While in theory you could pump sanitizer through it, but there are too many places for nastiness to hide in. Why don't you think gravity will work for you? Are you brewing in space?

The temps would be real iffy. While in theory you could pump sanitizer through it, but there are too many places for nastiness to hide in. Why don't you think gravity will work for you? Are you brewing in space?

My setup would but the CFC just below the brewpot. Don't you usually need a few feet at least to get the last bits out of the pot into the carboy?

Why don't you think gravity will work for you? Are you brewing in space?

...now that's funny!

I have a cfc and use gravity. My cfc sits just below the brewpot and I have no problem getting the wort through. Just make sure you don't turn the hose up full blast. You'll just waste water and your wort will be reeeeeal cold. Since gravity takes longer than then using a pump just have the hose on enough to be constantly flowing.

Back