Does anybody else cheer for the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgbrown

Reaction score
Whenever I pitch my starter and I am druck or not so druck, I always gotta cheer: GO YEASTIES GO! My neighbors must think I am the king of UTI's or something.

Ha, I was talking to the yeasties trying to coax them into hurrying while checking the gravity of some Apfelwein last night. SWMBO came in to see who I was talking to. I told her I was talking to my pet yeasties. This sparked an interesting conversation that ended with "I guess its better your into this than hookers and blow" while shaking her head and walking away. She's pretty sure I've lost it.

I don't really give the yeast a pep talk; I light some candles, put on some smooth jazz to set the mood, and hang a towel on the door so they have some privacy.

I don't talk to my yeasties but, I have been known to sit and watch heaving buckets struggle through blow-offs for extended periods of time and think to myself, "I have the most kickass hobby in the world..."

I always send a prayer up to the beer gods....."all mighty gods of barley and hops, bless my millions of friends, and allow them to enjoy their fornication!"

I encourage the soon to happen yeast orgies with mood lighting and smooth jazz. Works every time.

On a side note, why do none of my friends believe me when I mention all the orgies at my place?

On a side note, why do none of my friends believe me when I mention all the orgies at my place?

I think yeast is asexual. If you can reproduce all by yourself, and if you're in a room where other asexual creatures are getting it on with themselves at the same time you're getting it on with yourself, is it still called an orgy?

And more importantly, can the yeasties look each other in the eye after the act is done?

On the OP's topic, I haven't been known to cheer the old boys on, but I have apologized profusely while dumping a bottle of everclear in a batch of almost fermented peach must. It was for a peach port style; the theory is to zap the beasties with everclear to kill them so you're left with some residual sugar. I really felt bad about the act as I was committing it. But then I racked and tasted a sample and it made my mouth happy.

I think yeast is asexual. If you can reproduce all by yourself, and if you're in a room where other asexual creatures are getting it on with themselves at the same time you're getting it on with yourself, is it still called an orgy?

And more importantly, can the yeasties look each other in the eye after the act is done?

Maybe as Stewie would say, a Sexy Party?

I was discussing this after my first brew. I am going to play music themed to the type of beer I am brewing whenever I pitch from now on.

Last time I just gave them a war cry "THIISS ISSS SPARRRTTAAAA"

Back