Do you need to add Po Sorbate when dosing champagne?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukebuz

Reaction score
So, I'm getting ready to disgorge my champagne; when I add a sweetened dosage back (a mix of the same champagne and sugar to sweeten it a bit), do I need to add Po Sorbate to prevent additional fermentation?
I mean, I've gotten MOST of the yeast out, it's 12-13%, and it's sat in the bottle for a year. It makes sense to add it...but I'd rather not if I don't have too...!

I would, but I have never made champane.....

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I've made champagne and have never added sorbate, nor have I ever heard of anyone else adding it, my suggestion would be to avoid using it.

Pumpkin Dude -
You are adding a sugar solution after you've removed the yeast from the 2nd fermentation??

Absolutely,
First and foremost, when adding sugar or a simple syrup to get the initial fermentation in the bottle should be added using the formulas available all over the net, this will ensure that your bottles (champagne bottles) don't explode, the following formula comes from an Italian wine maker that was a master at making Asti Spumante type sparkling wine: for every 4.25 g / l of sucrose gives 1 atm pressure, Then using 25.5 g / l will give you a sparkling wine with 6 atm, this is the limit of the champagne bottles that he used.
The key is to get all of the yeast out.
Most Champagnes not only add wine and sugar, but also a little liqueur as well.
The formula for the the liqueur d'expedition, depending on the liqueur and sugar content, the champagne is ranked:

Adding 1 g / liter brut nature
Adding 3 g / l extra brut
Adding 6 g / l brut
Adding 15 g / l extra dry from 15 to 20 g / l
sec from 17 to 35 g / l
demi sec from 33 to 50 g / l
doux > 50 g / l

No Sorbate is added, and to be honest, I sweeten mine like an Asti Spumante, I don't care for super dry Champagnes, and I've never had an issue.
Have you ever seen the instructions for a 2 week champagne? An amazingly talented winemaker by the name of Zac brown came up with it, it is much easier, faster, and you get 100% of the yeast out.
If you're interested, I'll dig it out and send it to you, shoot me a message with your email addy.
I hope this helps.

Getting ready to dose some wine. So want to make sure I get this right.

4.25g of sucrose per litre of wine gives you 1 atm? Is any more yeast added as well, or are you relying on s small amount if yeast to be left over after racking.

Back