Do you need separate brew equipment for kombucha and beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Reaction score
I sanitize with starsan. I have a separate fermenter for f1 kombucha but I’ve been using my beer fermenter for F2. Haven’t made any beer since then.

Was wondering if starsan would be good enough to kill the left over scoby, since kombucha itself is pretty low in pH.

i won't even drink my booch in my brewery,and all of my booch stuff is separate.
I have brown flip tops for beer and green for booch so I can't mix em up

I keep all my stuff separate, even though there's really no equipment that I even share between the two processes, not even a thermometer. Kombucha is done in my kitchen and fermented in the pantry; my beer and cider are all done in the basement.

If you really needed to share equipment, I would be extra thorough in your cleaning and sanitizing processes.

I loaned a fermenter to a family member who is a beginner brewer and doesn't have much of his own gear. Later, he told me he changed his mind and decided to make kombucha instead.

:mad:

Luckily, it was a glass carboy and not one of my Brew Buckets. I do occasionally use carboys for small batches of cider, and the rare times I secondary.

When he returned it I tossed out the bung and airlock, and bleach-bombed the carboy. I told him to start buying his own brew gear. :)

Back