Do you like etched beer glasses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flugelizor

Reaction score
Have you used glasses with etching in the bottom?
Tiny carbonation nucleation sites send a cascade of bubbles through the beer.

I am not a fan of it. Wondering if I'm the only one?

I don't want my beer to turn into head.
And I want the carbonation to stay in the beer!
I can smell it just fine in a normal glass, thank you.

How about you?

I haven't seen one, but if it caused the beer to go flat sooner I wouldn't like it at all. I'm not really a chugger so I want nothing that would speed up the loss of carbonation.

You are not alone! It drives me CRAZY! I have 2 etched glasses and from time to time I completely forget about the nucleations, pour a beer (seems to always be my expensive ones to) and watch it erupt and flatten out. It doesn't help that mine say 'CHEERS' in bubble letters so I have 5x the normal amount of etching. I should throw them away and start a petition to ban them! :mug:

I have a cheap 12oz mug that's been scratched repeatedly using metal scouring pads. Ice-cold Coors Light from the can foams like crazy, then sputters out pretty quickly. Some homebrew in the same mug persists even after the beer has gotten warm.
Tried the same experiment with darker brews with less carbonation and the foaming was way less vigorous. As a matter of fact, I compared some Yards ale Washington porter to Founders robust porter. The Yards foamed nicely and the Founders poured like still motor oil .... the Founders had little to no foam, but that didn't bother me at all.

Of course, my two weizen beer glasses haven't survived in my wife's kitchen, but I DO have at least two pristine and unscratched liter beer mugs no one touches or cleans but me. Even a 22oz foamy pour of my best wheat beer never overflows using them.

Interesting. I have a bunch of Sammy glasses and a couple of DFH's all with modest lasering and I don't recall any similar issues with premature flattening.

Cheers!

They work fine for me. No overfoaming or anything, but really haven't noticed any extra aroma either. Nothing too special in my opinion.

I have 2 but rarely use them... haven't had a problem with foaming or going flat too quick. It's an esthetic thing I think. I've been conditioned to view nucleation sites as a dirty glass, so it throws me.

I have one that was procured from a local(ish) brewery. I like it. But what I REALLY like is that is a "REVIVAL" style glass (similar to the Sam Adams glasses). This has become my go to glass for pouring a beer. I've never had any problem with premature flattening, but then, I don't let my beers sit long enough for it to matter.

I saw such at my friend's and they looked nice, he says they "brighten up the taste"

Latest posts

Back