Do you call in sick if hungover?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillBeer247

Reaction score
If you wake up hungover, do you usually call in sick for the day? Or do you usually take a aspirin and tough it out?

I've never called in sick.

If you can't deal with the consequences of drinking too much, don't drink.

I wouldn't be thrilled with you as an employee if you're drinking enough to make this a regular question.

I work for myself so...when I was in the Air Force there was nothing like o2 from the oxygen regulators to help with the hangover.

One time I was having a party and I had to work the next day but all my roommates wanted to keep parting, so I couldnt sleep. If you can't beat them, join them. So I ended up getting super drunk and by the time I noticed it was 4am and had work at 6am so at this point I was fighting to even stay up. So a few 40s later my boss picked me up cause we car pulled. I just told him I had a bad time sleeping. But I was in the back seat of the car really trying to keep my eyes open and I was still really drunk. But we pulled over o get coffee and even that didn't help. So
At one point I fell asleep holding the hot coffee and apilit it on my dick. That was the worst day in my work life.

I didnt mean regular, we only get 7 days a year. I meant on the rare occasion that it happens. It seems like a lot of people at my company call in sick to use up the allotted days, and not being actually sick

i should of titled the thread, "Have you ever called in sick from being hungover? If yes, how often do you do it?

Work through it. Never taken a sick day in 5 years, even though I'm a firm believer of "Sunday Fundays". I have responsibilities at work that need to get done, by me, and I make sure I'm there to perform the work I was hired for.

Demon said:
Work through it. Never taken a sick day in 5 years, even though I'm a firm believer of "Sunday Fundays". I have responsibilities at work that need to get done, by me, and I make sure I'm there to perform the work I was hired for.

Boooo

We have guys who get sick every time they hit 8 hours. Then we have guys that sometimes have to call in fake sick because they've hit the max allowed time on the books.

I have a month easy of sick time built up. I'd joke about /cough /cough, I feel 'sick' ;) , but my luck I'd wake up with small pox.

I don't get hungover on work days. But if I did then I would call in sick. We have a production standard and it is better to call in than it is to not make standard.

I haven't called in yet as a result of a hangover. My worst was about 12 years ago. We went out and the company paid. I had beer and I was spilling them over the bar. The next day at work, needless to say, I was a mess. We had a Women's and a Men's room, as well as a lactation room. Well, the best got to me and the Men's room was full. Needless to say, I went in the Women's room to hurl. It only got better after that.

Depends if I have any sick time left or not!

I keed, I keed. It depends what I'm doing the next day. Two bit work that any monkey can do? I'd go to work and suffer. Drive equipment, put anyone else's safety at risk? **** no I'm calling in sick.

Also there are different stages if hangover. I could have a few extra beers and be hung over, or I could have been dared to chug the bottle of CVS branded vodka. You can guess which one would keep me home.

Still hate my friends for that to this day but thankful they left a bucket next to my bed after I was ALLEGEDLY carried back up to my apartment.

I try (sometimes unsuccessfully) not to drink more than 2 on a work night. There have been a FEW rare circumstances where I was hungover at work.

I only get 2 sicks days per year, so why feel like crap at home, when I can feel like crap at work and get paid for it?

I've worked hungover. I'm pretty sure at some point I've called in sick hungover. However, I would never feel bad about using sick time. It's a benefit earned from your labor, just like your 401k, vacation time, etc. The business has already allocated for those lost days so nobody loses by you taking your compensation.

I used to call in hungover once in a while when I worked at a bank. One time I couldn't, though. I got hammered after the company Christmas party and everyone knew what I was doing. My boss had to walk me to my door, I had to have someone pick me up in the morning because I didn't remember where my car was (I responsibly didn't drive that night, but couldn't remember), and I threw up in the sink at work. Still worth it.

What a waste of a day off,may as well be at work if hungover anyway because work is a waste of a day anyway,ha. Call off on a good day,I guess you could make it a sick day but a sick day off should be a fun day off:D That was my motto for a while. Altought I rarely am hungover. A few times drinking with my buddy I shure as hell was wrecked immobile and couldnt deal with anything and was in that I cant puke mode but my stomache wants me too but it was Sunday anyway,and what a worthless wasted day that was. Its not worth it much to me anymore.
I did go to a job once and was like,uh...no this isnt gonna work. I need to go home. Hey, at least I had the heart and effort. Every second was rough.

My job gives me ample (hopefully, barring me actually getting seriously sick or hurt) sick leave. So with 230ish hours accrued, if I need a day, I take it.

That said, a hangover has never kept me home, and that's only because I choose to be hungover on non working days. However, when and if I need to call out for a hangover, I probably would.

I've only had two days in my 17 years of working where I've contemplated this question. I didn't call in, I had my wife take me to work and I've stayed in my office with water and doritos ALL DAY...

Zero productivity and very horrible example to set but I'm just being honest.

I make sure my rowdy nights don't precede work days any more.

I've done it once or twice; certainly nothing to make a habit of. If you don't feel well enough to work, you're sick IMO. Of course, it really depends on your work ethic...

Never in 38 years. On occasion, I've been asked to come in for emergencies after a hard night. But they can't expect one to be sober all the time!

I work in aviation maintenance. If someone smells of alcohol (even a hangover smell) the local police administer a breathalyzer within minutes of suspicion. Showing up hungover is NOT acceptable. I certainly feel impaired when hungover, wouldn't want to do my job in a daze.

I'd never call in hungover.

I decided early on that if I ever had to call in sick to work because of drinking I'd have to give it up and I'm WAY too young to retire...:mug:

For a while (in my 30's) my day job was motorcycle sales, night job bar tender at a rock n roll night club. Bar closed at 2am, clean up and a few with the crew. Head home as the sun rose, one or two hours sleep. At the bike shop 9am. Off at 5pm, back at bar 7pm. Repeat. Did that for 2 years, I turn 65 in November, have no idea how I've made it this far. So yes, worked hung over, and called in sick a few times. I worked for that motorcycle dealership for 13 years. I've worked maybe 5 jobs after the motorcycle dealership, and can remember calling in sick (hungover) only once. So I guess you could say I've slowed down a bit. I quit working about a year ago, now everyday is a sick day :D

I've only been hungover twice or 3 times going to work. Have never called in sick because of it. Typically by 11:00 I'm feeling better and am back to being constructive.

Never in 38 years. On occasion, I've been asked to come in for emergencies after a hard night. But they can't expect one to be sober all the time!

Not all of us can manage that. Blowing anything measurable brings all sorts of misery from my benevolent overlords.

Not worth a sick day though - best used for catching up on training and literature reviews _from home_. Or at least I understand that's what my peers do when feeling a little off...

Latest posts

Back