Do you adhere to a brewing schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zacharias

Reaction score
As I sit here and try to decide what style and recipe I would like to brew next, I keep thinking "Oh, I should brew such and such recipe this time of year to have it ready for that time of year," and so on and so forth until I could just about have a set schedule.

My question for you is this: Do you have your own schedule or a yearly routine that you fall into in regards to brewing? Example: Do you brew your marzens in march and light summer beer in the late winter/ spring every year? Do you just say to yourself "I feel like brewing a Hefe today," even though its November? Discuss. :mug:

For a while I've just brewed whatever I felt like whenever I felt like it. But too many times I end up with three weird sub-par experimental beers on tap and only one really good one. This has led me to make a spreadsheet to plan what I want to have all on tap and when, and thus when to brew it. So far I haven't followed it very well, but I'm starting to think about it and try to brew accordingly.

Last winter I ended up with three stouts in a row and they lasted well past stout season, and were a real drag to finish. I'm hoping to avoid that, as I probably will start making spring weather brews soon. Of course IPA is always in season.

I brew what I want regardless of schedule. Once in a while I try to have a bigger brew ready around Christmas or so (I have a winter warmer now that I'm drinking already), but by and large, I'll brew whatever looks good whatever time of year.

I brew in groups, I like to have a session beer a hoppy beer , a malty beer ect. So, If I finish one of the kegs I make that type next. The only thing I do is Lager in the winter because I can control the ferment temp better. So, I might make a couple of Lagers to last me through the summer.

I just wing it; but I'm beginning to develop something of a seasonal rythm to brewing certain styles.

However my choices aren't exactly mainstream; I recently bottled a saison because I wanted one for Thanksgiving; just thought it would go really, really well with a turkey dinner.

But I'll second ksbrain; IPA's are always appropriate.

I try and flow with the seasons. I'm getting some malty and heavier beers out of the way now so that when winter comes I can cozy up to warm fireplace. By Feb-March, I'll be looking to lawnmower and hoppier beers that fit the summer.

Like this year, I screwed up and brewed my saison in August and it wasn't ready until end of Sept.

Some degree of planning is good, IMO.

I only really brew a couple of beers at specific times, I brew my O-fest in march, and my red ale in January or February most else is brewed on a whim, I guess I brew more wheats in the spring and summer, and stouts in the early fall but nothing rigid.

Nah. I generally tend to brew heavier stuff in the fall and lighter stuff int he spring. But I like Witbier all year round. But I don't have a real schedule. Just whatever I feel like at the time.

I have 3 taps on my kegerator, so I try to always have one IPA, one something season-appropriate, and one whatever I feel like. If I have a hankering for something outside of those three, I can always bottle it!

I brew a bock around New Year's and a Marzen in Feb. Other than that, It is all about how much time I have and what I have a thirst for.

I try to always have an IPA ready to drink and also a session beer (sometimes an IPA) on tap. I do however like to have at least one malt profile beer, ie porter, stout, scottish ale on tap for the times I want something with less hops. I now brew to different 5 gallon beers every brew session as it saves me time in the long run.

No but I actually had my Oktoberfest ready for, well, October. I was pretty proud of that. And brewed a strong ale with spice for Christmas, got that brewed in July.

But I brew every other weekend so it just depends what I come up with. I just like telling my friends I have a seasonal beer. But they drink it whatever it is so I guess it doesn't matter lol.

I set up a five brew project. I then plan the purchasing of ingredients and begin brewing. I have a couple of standards that I like to keep on hand.

I also set up a list of brews to do in the future. Then, I pick from that list for my five beer rotations.

I only brew when a keg floats, so there's no schedule. When I run a batch, it's purely whatever sounds good today. The only exception is maintaining a fruit wheat in the queue for my wife.

Back