Do we have to filter beer before kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am still learning about kegging and there is one thing I'd like to know: do we have to filter fermented beer before kegging?

I am wondering if all the particles need to be removed from the beer before kegging including yeast particles? Or is it only big chunks that might cause problems when kegging/or when serving?

I seriously have no idea. :)

I actually dont want to filter my beer but I wanna keg it. This is why I am asking.

Cheers

No need to filter. You will have some sediment (mostly yeast) after the week or so it takes to force carb the beer, but that will come out in the first pour or two.

As previously mentioned, the only issue is your first pint or so will have sediment... unless you move the keg around, then at that point you'll get a bit more.

Cold crash your fermenter before transferring to a keg. That'll clear up most sediment. You'll still get some stuff in your first couple pours, but it'll be less.

I cold crash and gelatin fine before kegging. If I put clean, clear beer in the keg to begin with, I have no issues moving said keg around. :)

As stated no need to filter and if you pour a friend a hazy brew use it as a badge of honor and say see homebrew. :mug:

I've never filtered and my beers/ciders turn out very clear. Cold crash for sure.

I like to move the primary over into my upright lagering freezer that's kept at a constant 35*F and leave it there a week before racking over into the keg. The yeast cake is more firm when cold, making it easier to avoid sucking it up into the auto-siphon. I have used gelatin on some batches, but really don't see a significant difference.

I like to pour friends glasses of nice, clear beer. The ones who have previously had someone else's cloudy "homebrew" look at it approvingly and most ask, "what do you do to filter this?"

As usual time fixes most things, I don't keep trub out of the fermenter, don't cold crash or add fining agents. Just let it sit and after a couple weeks I get it crystal clear beer... after those first couple pours anyway :p , no getting around that.

Perfect thread for me to bring this up. I'm more than 1/2 way through a legged kolsch. 5 gallon batch. I kegged it about 3 months ago, but I just haven't had the time to drink it due to a new baby. Long story short:

I did not filter. I never have and never will. I used gelatin after I cooled the kegged beer. I've done this before with great results. Since kegging the beer, I have had these little bits of stuff, floating in the beer. I thought it was trub and I never gave it a second thought.

20 days and about 2 gallons later, I'm still having a ton of these little guys floating around. I've never seen it before so I don't really know what to compare it to. It's not infected...at least it doesn't taste infected. It's still a very good beer with the exception of the floaters. A friend said it might be related to the remaining yeast self-consuming but I truly have no clue. Ideas?

As previously mentioned, the only issue is your first pint or so will have sediment.
4p.jpg

During the boil a good hot break
Rapid chilling induces a good cold break
Clear beer will oft result.

To further promote clear beer as others have alluded to I also take the following, many would argue unneeded easy steps.

• Beer in primary FV is cold crashed for 2-3 days once it's ready to be packaged
  • Gelatin is added to FV and let sit for 2-3 days
  • Clear beer is racked to keg.
Yum!3.jpg

Gavin - your beer looks great!

I've never filtered besides Irish Moss as a clarifying agent. Formerly extract and final beer was not real clear, but didn't worry about it. Several months ago started BIAB (simple whole grain beer process). Beer is very clear, and much better overall. Kegging is SO much better than bottling...so great idea there.

Besides that, lots of good tips and thoughts already given. Best of luck!

As others have said, it's not required, temperature is your biggest friend in clearing. I filter, but it's a matter of preference (and a lack of room to effectively cold-crash before transfer). If my MacGyver skills kick in and I get the time, then I plan to put together a setup that will allow transfer from Fermentor > Filter > Serving keg under pressure...looks neat on paper.

:off:
I guess it's a sign of the times here in Cali that you guys post pics of your beautiful beers and all I can think is how green your lawns are.

:off:
I guess it's a sign of the times here in Cali that you guys post pics of your beautiful beers and all I can think is how green your lawns are.

Even greener now since Texas was drenched this past month or so. I think most of the state is officially out of its drought status. I've never seen it so green this time of year.

El Niño by all accounts.

Over here in NW New Jersey, we just got pounded by a massive storm. Hail! It beat the stuffing out of my hop plants, too. Hope they recover.

Not for me, thank you! I dont want my beer/cider to be sitting on the yeast cake while its in the keg. Clear or not, I want only beer in my serving keg, period. Filtering is WAY easy from keg to keg and the flavors dont change over time because of the influence of the yeast cake.

As usual time fixes most things, I don't keep trub out of the fermenter, don't cold crash or add fining agents. Just let it sit and after a couple weeks I get it crystal clear beer... after those first couple pours anyway :p , no getting around that.

Oh yes there is. Clear beer floating dip tube works like a charm! No yeasty first pour.

http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/info.html

Back