Do old grains make weak beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamorgan3777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay,

Getting back into brewing after some time off (about 18 months). Most of my base malt has been sitting (in sealed containers) for about 2 years. Both batches I brewed (since starting back up again) taste "flat and watery". Not flat like undercarbed, flat like no flavor at all.

The first one, was an IPA that I totally screwed up my volumes on and made sense that it would be "watery". Had a gallon more water than I thought. So that one made sense.

The second was was a Moose Drool clone that I remember brewing and liking (this was like 5 years ago). However this one I hit all my volumes and numbers right on (little high in OG even). It tastes like water. Has decent color and carb and is clear as a bell due to my new floating dip tube sets, but just no flavor. I was wondering if 2+ year old base malt would do that?

I haven't noticed "old" base malt contributing to a bland flavor, especially if sealed in an air tight container. I've let base malt go 12-18 months in my storage container so far, so I can't say I've tasted "2+ year" old base malt. But since some of the bags came from Germany, the malt was likely a few months if not a year old when I got it.

Old hops are a different story though, of course.

My 2 year old base malt, stored in open bags, tastes and converts just as if it were fresh. I think you need to look at a different cause.

My oldest malt right now is about 3 years old (I've almost used that up.) Stored in a sealed bucket in the basement where the temperature doesn't change that much. It's still good.

Is your beer carbonated yet? That makes a big difference, some times bigger than others.

Barley is generally grown in the northern hemisphere and harvested once a year. So chances are that even a fresh sack is last years crop after it is harvested, dried, kilned, packaged, and warehoused. Plus, contracts are going to be filled to the companies that use rail cars full before you get your 50 pound sack. I always assume that the base malts that I use are between 1 and 3 years old. I would worry if they were 5 years old, but how do I really know at 100%? I worry less with c malts. They are there more for color and flavor than for d power, so I assume (maybe incorrectly) that they degrade slower.

well OP didn't say if grains were milled or whole....

whole grains will last for years if stored properly...

Did your water change or was it the same? My darker beers were very thin/watery until I discovered I have *VERY* soft water and the addition of some ions radically changed my Moose Drool, stouts, etc.

well OP didn't say if grains were milled or whole....

whole grains will last for years if stored properly...

My thoughts exactly. If milled they are probably very stale. If whole and stale they weren't stored well.

Due to a move and projects almost ALL of my grain is older than that. My grains are sealed pretty well but stored in a garage that goes from 50s in the winter and above 90 in the summer here in Florida. That hasn't seemed to make a huge difference.

If you want to experiment with old base malt, buy it by the pallet load then.:D

what makes you think i don't already? ;)

edit: when i still bought malt, before i realized the feed store is just down the road. they'd always ask me if i run a brewery! i'd just smile, and explain, "no i just like beer"

Thanks for all the great replies. Lots to think of.

The malt is stored whole (i.e. uncrushed). I have a feeling my water is partly to blame. That and my tastes might be different now.

Good to know most folks are using or have used "older" grains.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Back