Do I need to sanitize my muslin bag when dry hopping my beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I typically do. Even though beer fermented and less likely to become infected still a good possibility, you've made it this far, don't screw it up now😉 I wash with PBW then either boil or StarSan. You never know what beasties are lurking, what it picked up, or sanitary conditions of its manufacturing process. You could also just toss in your hops with no bag. Works great also.

Yes. Like cmb4642 said, it's not necessary since the alcohol can work a lot of magic, BUT it can still become infected so definitely sanitize that bag. That being said, I'm a big fan of just dumping the hops in and letting them swim freely. But to each their own :)

Thanks a lot, maybe I should just dump them in then. The reason I thought using muslin bag in first place is to avoid having too much trub and haze forming from the hops... What temp do you usually dry hop by the way and why you think this is best?

Ive never had a haze issue (but I use clarity ferm too so maybe that helps). For the trub, just keep the racking cane high enough and you'll be fine. I usually dry hop at my fermenting/diacetyl rest temps (70ish degrees for ales).

My general process is...

-Ferment (~66 deg F for WLP001)
-Diacetyl rest (~71 degrees F)
-Add Dry Hops
-I dont cold crash, since I rely on the kegerator temps to do that for me, but if you cold crash, do that here to get those hops and yeasts to drop out of suspension
-keg

Pretty standard process, and bagging in the muslin is definitely a valid option which a lot of people use. I just prefer not to

Ive never had a haze issue (but I use clarity ferm too so maybe that helps). For the trub, just keep the racking cane high enough and you'll be fine. I usually dry hop at my fermenting/diacetyl rest temps (70ish degrees for ales).

My general process is...

-Ferment (~66 deg F for WLP001)
-Diacetyl rest (~71 degrees F)
-Add Dry Hops
-I dont cold crash, since I rely on the kegerator temps to do that for me, but if you cold crash, do that here to get those hops and yeasts to drop out of suspension
-keg

Pretty standard process, and bagging in the muslin is definitely a valid option which a lot of people use. I just prefer not to

Do you dry hop in the primary fermenter and for how long? Wouldn't it be better to throw the hops after diacetyl rest? Do you start diacetyl rest when fermentation is totally complete or you do it in the end when fermentation is completing?

I dry hop with pellets in primary fermentor. I do it at about 70F same as @cmb4642. For big dry hop beers I will do 3 doses 2-3 days apart, 2 oz per 5 gallons per dose. First dose goes in at end of primary fermenation as krausen is starting to fall in. 1-2 days after final dose I cold crash for a day or two before kegging.

Sometimes 3rd dose is done in a bag in the keg. I use a nylon bag and do sanitize it.

I used to boil my bags before cooling them in starsan to use them for dry hopping. Now I have a long reusable fine mesh sleeve that I put over my siphon so I dont need to worry about hop material

Do you dry hop in the primary fermenter and for how long? Wouldn't it be better to throw the hops after diacetyl rest? Do you start diacetyl rest when fermentation is totally complete or you do it in the end when fermentation is completing?

Yes I do. But like the majority of people on HBT, I dont secondary (unless Im adding fruit or aging) so everything happens in primary. I usually add them for ~5 days. Typically I slowly start raising ferm temps just after high krausen and try to hit my diacetyl rest right as primary fermentation is subsiding (usually about 5-6 days). Then, add hops 5 days before kegging

Play around with your schedule and see what works for your gear and taste. Fun to hop toward end of primary then again after cold crashing. Interactions of yeast and hops plus hop with less yeast makes things a bit more complex IMO. Play with things and have fun��

I rinse off the bag in the sink to get rid of dust and whatever then spray with starsan and squeeze out the excess starsan.Like someone else said you've come all this way whats an extra 10 seconds for a piece of mind

Back