Do I need to repitch yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzamba

Reaction score
I made my first starter yeast on Saturday for Sunday brew day. Airlock was bubbling Sat night and Sunday morning.

The beer is a imperial ipa with a sg 1.090.
I pitched the yeast at 3:00 PM yesterday and there is no visable signs of fermentation.

Should I have waited longer before pitching yeast? Should I repitch a new yeast?

it should be fine unless you pitched the yeast at too high a temp and it killed them. what temp was your wort at when you pitched?

if you had a rolling starter, there shouldn't be any problems. maybe you just have a long lag time due to a lot of oxygen in the wort. this would cause them to feed and reproduce before they start going crazy. this is a good thing.

i'm sure you'll see action tomorrow. don't repitch.

thanks, death. i feel a little better, this was the most expensive batch to date.
temp was exactly 70F

Remember You should never use a cheap chinese plastic airlock as a "fermentation Gauge," it's not...It's an airlock, a VALVE to release excess CO2, to keep from blowing the lid off the fermentor...If it's not bubbling that just means that there's not enough CO2 to climb out of the airlock, or the CO2 is just forming a nice cushion on top of the beer like it's supposed to, or the airlock is askew, or it is leaking out the cheap rubber grommet, or you have a leak in the bucket seal...all those are fine...if CO2 is getting out then nothing's getting in....

Over half of my beers have had no airlock activity...

The only gauge of fermentaion is your hydrometer. And it's too soon for that, so relax.
Before you ever CONSIDER doing something like repitcjing...do what it says in here...http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

Do NOT re-pitch. I've had several brews that take 72+ hours to start. Give it 4 or 5 days before you worry.

As long as you have good sanitation practitces, there is nothing to worry about.

Great success. We are fermenting. 1.040 so it's about halfway there. Thanks for talking me down.

Back