Do i need to pasteurize FAJC before adding?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebtr

Reaction score
Planning to bottle my first 3 gallons of cider this week (total of 18 in secondary in 3 gallon carboys). Pressed from my own apples in November, initial S.G. 1.050, pitched Saflager w-34/70. S.G was 1.004 when moved into secondary in December. Very clear, sitting happily in my basement at 55 degrees

So, planing to add enough priming sugar to all 3 gallons to generate about 2 volumes of CO2. Bottling using recycled beer bottles. Planning to bottle 2 gallons to ferment dry and be done. Thinking of adding some FAJC to the last gallon to try for a slightly sweet cider- will try my hand at bottle pasteurizing.

So, with everything else I added, sanitation was so important- adding sulfites to the juice, pasteurizing the juice I used for a yeast starter, etc. Do I need to do anything to the concentrate? Or is it considered sanitized enough, and safe to just dump in?

Back