Do I need finings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaMatt

Reaction score
I've read many discussions on fining agents and fining methods, but I haven't quite found an answer to my question.

Will my beer need fining to clear?

I had a very vigorous boil (had to add a half gallon of water because I boiled down a lot) and my burner starts the boil pretty quickly.
I cooled down to 100F from full boil in 7 minutes, down to 70F in 14 minutes (first attempt at building/using an IC)
I did NOT use irish moss because I'm dumb.
The beer will be in primary for three weeks (1.052 OG) with reasonably stable temp around 70 and US05 yeast.

I just don't like the idea of adding gelatin or isinglass, but I have no real reason why... I have read that I need to cold crash after adding either of those, but I don't have that ability - am I wrong?

I never use any of those things,& get clear beer. Check my gallery for examples. They sit in primary at least 1 week past matching FG's. This allows the yeast to clean up it's by-products,& settle out more.
When it gets to a slight haze,prime & bottle. Put the bottled beer in cardboard boxes with the flaps closed to keep the light off them. Leave them to condition for 3-4 weeks at room temp. Then chill in the fridge till chill haze settles. You will then have a very clear beer,& the sediment will get impacted on the bottom of the bottle. You can pour more beer this way,without getting trub in your glass.

MazdaMatt said:
I've read many discussions on fining agents and fining methods, but I haven't quite found an answer to my question.

Will my beer need fining to clear?

I had a very vigorous boil (had to add a half gallon of water because I boiled down a lot) and my burner starts the boil pretty quickly.
I cooled down to 100F from full boil in 7 minutes, down to 70F in 14 minutes (first attempt at building/using an IC)
I did NOT use irish moss because I'm dumb.
The beer will be in primary for three weeks (1.052 OG) with reasonably stable temp around 70 and US05 yeast.

I just don't like the idea of adding gelatin or isinglass, but I have no real reason why... I have read that I need to cold crash after adding either of those, but I don't have that ability - am I wrong?

Nothing you did would require a fining agent....I rarely use them, the exception would be if I am adding an addition to the boil that may cause a haze. I strongly recommend using a primary for fermentation and the conditioning phase, this would not be the case with fruit beers, but would work for your standard ale like this; 2 weeks for fermentation process and 1 week for conditioning, then cold crash the beer....at this point it will be crystal clear.

Okay, I will stay the course. Next time I will get irish moss just to make a comparison.

My last beer had 3 weeks primary, 3 weeks bottle, 1 week fridge and it was still not clear - that was a Cream of Three Crops (Beirmuncher).

The difference this time is that I have the IC. I will follow the same schedule, which means I'm bottling this saturday morning.

To be clear, I can't cold crash the whole fermenter... unless I magically pull some time out of my a$$ and finish building my temp controller.

Any other input on clearing without irish moss would be helpful and appreciated.

I think finings are more for "just in case" scenarios or if you definitely know that your breaks are insufficient. They're also useful with low-floc yeasts but aren't completely necessary. You can make perfectly clear beer without using them if you follow a good fermentation/carbing/bottling routine as some people have outlined above.

It sounds like you had excellent breaks so I wouldn't worry too much. Just let the beer clear up in the fermenter, carb it a few weeks, then finally let it clear again at cellar temps and/or in the fridge for another couple weeks. Golden.

No,it's medium flocculation yeast. I've been using cooper's ale yeast in a starter. High flocculation,with some little fruitiness. There are other dry yeasts with similar characteristics. Check out the info at Midwest.

Cool... Thanks for all the info. I'm going to ride it out and see what I get, then I'll be sure to use I.M. in my next brew.

Any downsides to isinglass or geletin? Do they actually NEED to be cold crashed?

I like using gelatin. THe beer must be cold when you add it for it to work properly. Couple days later you have crystal clear beer. Though it is purely cosmetic I do not think I get AS clear of a beer with just waiting for everything to drop out.

Back