Do I need a starter with this much harvested yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiknNutz

Reaction score
I am planning on a Double IPA using S-04 yeast I harvested just under a month ago (April 11). The pic shows the amount I have in each pint mason jar (I have 4 of these total still, used one on a prior batch). Should I make a starter or is this sufficient for my needs? I know that part of the reason for a starter is to ensure sufficient healthy yeast, not just sheer quantity. This previous batch is my first time harvesting yeast, so still am new to this part of the game. Thanks!

1620485417614.png

I am planning on a Double IPA using S-04 yeast I harvested just under a month ago (April 11). The pic shows the amount I have in each pint mason jar (I have 4 of these total still, used one on a prior batch). Should I make a starter or is this sufficient for my needs? I know that part of the reason for a starter is to ensure sufficient healthy yeast, not just sheer quantity. This previous batch is my first time harvesting yeast, so still am new to this part of the game. Thanks!

View attachment 728576
5 gallon batch? If so, looks good to go, just pitch to wort and ferment. Cheers.

View attachment 728576
If that yeast is healthy it should be more than enough. What size batch are brewing, and OG?

Sorry I omitted some info. This will be for a 5G finished batch, 5.75 into the fermenter as I am accounting for loss due to dry hops and packaging losses. This is for a Mango Milkshake Double IPA with an OG of 1.095.

Sorry I omitted some info. This will be for a 5G finished batch, 5.75 into the fermenter as I am accounting for loss due to dry hops and packaging losses. This is for a Mango Milkshake Double IPA with an OG of 1.095.
That should work fine there's a lot of yeast there and it's fresh. Just aerate well.

I have been harvesting and reusing yeast for the past few years. My best advice is to try out different strategies and get a feel for what works with your system and process. I have had excellent results pitching from a 4 week old 16 oz jar of harvested yeast but 1) my jars end up with about 75% solids where yours is maybe 30% (though I transfer a lot of trub into my fermenter) and 2) if I was pitching into a 1.095 beer I would either pitch two jars or I would make a starter.

I am a huge fan of viability (shaken not stirred) type starters. I would make a 1L starter the evening before brew day, and pitch it at high krausen.

I also find that above 1.085-ish I like to cycle back with a second round of aeration at 12 to 24 hours. I think it helps.

It all depends on the yeast. Some lose viability rather quickly, others don’t. Without a microscope you’ll never know.

A month is kind of a long time. I try not to go more than 1 week with slurry. If it’s older and I need to use it I will definitely make a starter.

1.095 is pretty damn high for a IIPA. That’s triple territory. You’re gonna need a lot of very healthy yeast and Oxygen. Can you oxygenate? Also do you have temp control? S04 needs to be around 64 for the first few days in order to not produce some really weird/tart characteristics, especially with that much sugar.

This sounds like an expensive beer, ingredient wise. I’d do whatever it takes to make sure you don’t waste that all that money by not pitching enough healthy yeast. I’d make a pretty big starter 8 or so hours before you pitch it and hopefully it’ll be at high krausen.

Yes, it is an expensive one. It is a heavy double, not quite a triple. Yes, I have fermentation temp control. No on oxygenation, though I do get a lot of froth going during chilling with a stainless wine degasser and heavy whirpool action. I've made similar beers with no issues regarding fermentation thus far.

Back