do i have make a big mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagatho

Reaction score
hello brothers

yesterday i make mi first batch of all grain beer, a try to make a brown ale from scratch, one of my first big mistake was leave the grain macerate alone i put them in a Igloo cooler the temperature of the water was 71c° i then i have to go to the shop with my wife, wen i come back almost two hours later i found the temperature in 60c° :C

this will affect my beer? today i take a look of the batch and the airlock is bubbling alot.

thank for read my problem and sorry for my bad English.

So, 71C is a little high for a mash temperature. 60C is a little low. I think you will probably be fine. A few words of advice:

Before you mash in, pre-heat the cooler with very hot tap water for ten or fifteen minutes (I do this while the mash water is heating up).
When you first mash in, stir really well. Give it a few minutes to get the temperatures distributed well, then take a reading.
Pay attention to the strike temperature - the water before you add it to the grains. On my system, it will drop 14 degrees F., which is probably about average.
It sounds like your beer is happy, so - don't worry!

Cheers,

Don't worry, you'll still end up with beer. It will just be more fermentable (since the lower temperatures allow the beta amylase to break down the long chains into individual maltose molecules), ending up at a lower FG and with lower body (since there are fewer long chain molecules to give it body). Next time, try insulating the cooler with a blanket or sleeping bag. It will help retain the heat and keep you at a more consistent temperature.

thanks for the reply i hope i get a good beer i need to improve my processes i do this first batch with cero experience, now i have learn from my mistake and get better every new batch i will get you intouch about the result of my "Ayahuasca" brown ale beer.

"Ayahuasca" is the name, is not really an Ayahuasca brew haha.

Latest posts

Back