Do I have a yeast problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyGuy716

Reaction score
I ordered the ingredients for a Kolsch last week from Northern Brewer. The yeast I ordered was Wyeast 2565. The package arrived today at home with no one to take it in.

When I opened the package the yeast pack was warm and slightly inflated due mostly to the heat (I hope?). The nutrient pack doesn't feel to be broken. I was planning on brewing this weekend.

So the question is: What affect will the yeast being hot/warm have on the fermenting and ultimately the final outcome of the beer?

I plan on picking up some Safale yeast from my LHBS just incase something goes wrong but since this was my first Kolsch and second all grain I really want this to turn out as I planned.

Thanks

Sitting out like that is never great for the yeast and I'm sure some of the yeast cells in there are no longer viable. I doubt the entire package is killed or anything, but if you're not making a starter you might end up not pitching nearly enough yeast for the beer and end up with a slow fermentation and potential off flavors.

you could also try making a starter with it. Activate the pack for 3 hours then take 3 cups of your cooled wort into a sanitized container and add the yeast to that, cover with sterilized aluminum foil and see if your yeast multiplies over an hour or two. This is probably worth doing since the liquid yeast packs are expensive. if this fails or sounds like to much work buy a .99 cent pack of dry yeast.

Glad to hear that I won't have too big of a problem. I could probably try the starter depending on how the day goes. I am going to have the dry yeast around just in case I get a slow fermentation.

I would go the stater route. When are you planning on brewing? If you get good krausen on the starter, you'll know you're yeast is fine and good to go.

Ideally, you should be doing a starter with almost every beer you make. One smack pack is almost always too little yeast - even under ideal conditions.
I am sure the smack pack is likely ok.... unless it was really getting cooked (100+ degrees for a long time).

Is what Briz34 posted accurate to get enough yeast going for pitching?

"you could also try making a starter with it. Activate the pack for 3 hours then take 3 cups of your cooled wort into a sanitized container and add the yeast to that, cover with sterilized aluminum foil and see if your yeast multiplies over an hour or two. This is probably worth doing since the liquid yeast packs are expensive. if this fails or sounds like to much work buy a .99 cent pack of dry yeast." - Briz34

I was thinking I could grab a wee bit of wort after ten minutes into the boil and cool that real quick. Then at most the wort is sitting for two hours before I pitch it.

I figure if I put it in the fermentor with a cap it should be okay right?

Although this would be the first time I have tried to make a starter with such a short amount of time. Would there even be enough yeast propagating after three hours to make a healthy yeast pitch?

I would not recommend doing a 3 hour starter. You're not really helping yourself by doing that. You should do your starter now, so that it is actively churning by this weekend when you're wanting to brew.

Latest posts

Back