Do I add more sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSamu

Reaction score
I am considering changing my beer into a secondary. when I do do I add more Molasas and Brown sugar or just transfer for clarity's sake? I am about 20 days into fermentation and plan on bottleling at around one month. :mug:

This is one of those topics that people debate over but it looks like most people don't use secondaries. You can leave it in the primary for the full duration of fermenting and clarifying. Secondary was used and still is used for bulk aging and clarification. As for adding sugar or molasses this really depends in the beer you are trying to make. If you want opinions on that we may need more details like the recipe process and you're of beer you are trying to make.

Oriiginaly was supposed to be a a pumpkin ale but as the season is kind of over... and I couldn't get a few of the ingrediants so. used
1lb chocolate wheat malt
1 lb german vienna malt 1/2 lb crystal malt
Boiled steaped 1 hr added
6 lbs amber malt extract boiled again 1 hr during boil added
1/2 cup molasses
1 cup brown sugar
1 ounce Mt hood hops
45 min boil then added 1 oz Hallertauer hops 15 minutes of boil
shut off heat added 1/2 tsp vanilla 1/2 tsp cinnamon extract,1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1/4 tsp star annise extract.
I tasted it prior to pitching the yeast and it was pretty good.
then pitched the wyeast 1056.

I'd not add any molasses. Not even a little. After the yeast get done consuming the fermentable sugars contained therein, what is left does not taste good at all.

From the looks of the recipe, this isn't a batch where you'll need to be concerned about getting extra clarity. Let it finish in the primary and go straight to bottling.

Back