Do Any Of You Homebrewers Use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerB4Liquor

Reaction score
Howdy all,
I was wondering if any of you use a Char-Broil Big Easy to boil your wort? I bought one and was hoping to use it for preparing my wort. I searched to find it's water capacity and found nothing. Does anybody have a capacity for this unit?

One more thing:

How do you like the unit? And any pros or cons?

:mug:

I'm wondering if it's meant to hold liquid. I'm looking at videos of it on youtube, and it's got a drip pan beneath, which leads me to believe that there's drain holes in the bottom of the cooker....drain holds wouldn't really be effective in holding water in ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're right. It does look like it has a drain hole in it for that drip tray. Plus the way it heats may not work filled with liquid.

I have one. It is sold as an oil-less turkey fryer. It cooks by creating infrared heat. Works awesome for cooking turkeys, but I doubt would work well with liquid in it. It does also have a drain in the bottom for the fat and juices to drip out.

Oh great, that's not the news I was hoping for! I was hoping that it had a solid bottom and the rack would keep the turkey out of the drippings. I'm still going to give it a shot. If need be, I will take it to work and have the drain hole welded shut. I will post up my findings after I try it. I guess I should of ask this question before buying it. Oh dopey me!

Thanks for your responses.

I would return it. I have one as well, it is basically two cans, one a bit smaller inside the bigger one and it creates a ring of fire between the two. I think you are asking for a ton of problems. It is a fairly thin steel which is not ideal for boiling wort in. You can get a good turkey deep frier with a stainless pot and spigot for what this cost. I have also bought a few use turkey criers on craigss list cheap for the burners. Just my two cents....

I would return it. I have one as well, it is basically two cans, one a bit smaller inside the bigger one and it creates a ring of fire between the two. I think you are asking for a ton of problems. It is a fairly thin steel which is not ideal for boiling wort in. You can get a good turkey deep frier with a stainless pot and spigot for what this cost. I have also bought a few use turkey criers on craigss list cheap for the burners. Just my two cents....

It arrived yesterday and after looking at it and pondering, I think your right. But since I'm too cheap to pay the $25.00 to send it back I'm going to offer it up to my friends first then if no takers, I'll put it up on craigslist. It will sell quick there.

I just purchased a good 20 quart SS stock pot, which I know will serve me better for the long haul.

Damn this hobby is about as bad as my cigar hobby. It's slope is almost as slippery as the cigars! The good news is that I'm about finished with my equipment buying!

Back