Do American Barleywines benefit from refermentation in the bottle/keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicorn_Platypus

Urine I Pee... Eh?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just drank an aged 2015 Sierra Bigfoot last night. Needless to say the beer was outstanding and inspiring!

I noticed that there was some yeast sediment in the botttle. The beer drank slightly hazy too (yeast?)

Wondering if the re fermentation in the bottle played an impact on how nicely the beer aged?

I brewed a barleywine a few years back that took second place in its category. This was brewed before I started kegging and the beer was bottle conditioned.

Since I started kegging I have yet to referment in the keg or bottle condition.

What are everyone's thoughts force carbonating vs. refermenting an american barleywine?

I brew 10 gallon batches, so I'm thinking that the next one I make will get split:

KEG #1: gets dry hopped, force carbonated, and served immediately
KEG #2: refermented in the keg and left for extended aging. I won't dry hop it right away, but maybe dry hop after aging. (Due to sensitivity of dry hops and oxidation I feel it would be a bad idea to dry hops before extended aging)

Last edited:
I think it could help with shelf stability if it's going to be aged for years. Honestly though, I'm not sure if it's going to offer much for the style besides saving money on gas.

Back