DMS and wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmancuso

Reaction score
I have been having this reoccurring problem with dms flavors in almost all of my American wheats. I keep getting these canned corn and other vegetal flavors in these pretty straight forward 50% domestic 2 row and 50% wheat recipes. I have never had any of these flavors in my German wheats ( which I use pils malt) or any other beer whether it be 100% domestic 2row or 100% pils malt. I have used several yeast strains wyeast 1056,1272,1007. Any ideas to what can be causing this?
Thanks,James

What temperature are you fermenting at? If you are in the 69-75 deg range then that could be your source. I try to keep my carboys at 65-66 and this makes for a nice and steady fermentation.

Tell us a bit about your boil process. Hard boil? How long? Uncovered pot? Mash schedule?

All were fermented at 65 and ramped up to 68 after a week. I have a very large kettle and keep a vigerous boil and get 15%+ boil off and it's always uncovered . I have a whirlpool immersion chiller and am below 140 in 3 minutes. And I use a 90 min boil sometimes it goes more like 100 min. All were single infusion mashes 151-153.

I'm at a loss as I don't see anything in your process that would cause the issue. Have they been from the same batch of grain? Maybe it's specific to that batch?

I have used rahr wheat and mostly use weyermann pale wheat. My lhbs goes through probably a 55 lb bag of the weyermann every week or two. The only thing I can think of is something in my water chemistry reacting with the wheat?

Back