DME vs LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's time to buy a book and get some real information. You can post every question you've ever had and will never get the right answer. Check the books, the answers are written down.

I've always preferred DME, but some extracts are only available in LME. I think Munich malt extract is one of them. If you can get good fresh LME, it's fine to use and it's cheaper. I like to buy in a bigger quantity and save it for starters, so I buy DME because I can reclose the bag and store it in a dry cupboard and it will last a long time.

Honestly I think the best advice is try 'em both and see which one you like better.

I prefer LME, as the type I normally get is bagged (not canned), I know it fresh because I buy up the inventory almost every week at my LHBS, and between the pilsner and the gold (8-10) It fits beautifully into the styles of beer I like.

It's time to buy a book and get some real information. You can post every question you've ever had and will never get the right answer. Check the books, the answers are written down.

Curious post. There isn't a right answer, imho. There are pros and cons to each, which I think L Lama did a good job of articulating in the link above, as have Paul and Yooper.

most people talk of an extract twang when using liquid. i had some experince with this. When i used LME i tried to use it as a late addition - putting it in the last 20 or 30 minutes of the boil.

I agree that if you use LME try to buy from a local homebrew supply or a reliable internet site - northern brewer is my fave. Try to avoid the canned stuff if possible.

Good luck and have fun with it. try as much stuff as your comfortable with - it will give you a better understanding. I agree books are very informative too. I would trust the folks on this site who are premium or lifetime members. They obviously care enough to spend some money and offer advice.

(comments like that from HSM kind of bother me, your asking a legitimate question and he psots something like that. what's the value?)

I'm lucky, my LHBS gets very fresh LME. Their yeast is fresh too, btw. I use LME for the most part and have been adding it late. My next batch this weekend is a full boil and I will add all extract at the beginning.

Latest posts

Back