DME and Dextrose are they equal fermentables?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainebrew

Reaction score
I was wandering on a LME nut brown I did if it had enough fermentables I used a muntons nut brown with a 1lb bag of amber DME and around a 1/2 -2/3 cup of dextrose. I am now sipping it and it tastes great but I believe the ABV to be low, I did not check the OG/FG. This was my first batch and even though it tastes good and has a good flavor I was wandering if I stepped the dextose up to a cup along with the DME if that would have boosted the ABV. I am brewing a Munton's wheat tonight and I have 2lbs of wheat DME to add along with the LME can, I was wandering if I added a cup of dextrose to this would it take away the flavor seeing that I am adding a rasberry extract in when I rack into the secondary?

Thanks for all the help:mug:

The DME will be less fermentable than the dextrose. So if you substitute the dextrose for the DME then you will end up with a drier final product.

If you up the original gravity by just adding extra dextrose, then you may end up with a less bitter beer if you don't also up the hops accordingly.

If the beer tastes good, then I wouldn't advise adding extra sugar just to up the ABV, it'll change the flavor and body in a potentially negative way.

I was wandering on a LME nut brown I did if it had enough fermentables I used a muntons nut brown with a 1lb bag of amber DME and around a 1/2 -2/3 cup of dextrose. I am now sipping it and it tastes great but I believe the ABV to be low, I did not check the OG/FG. This was my first batch and even though it tastes good and has a good flavor I was wandering if I stepped the dextose up to a cup along with the DME if that would have boosted the ABV. I am brewing a Munton's wheat tonight and I have 2lbs of wheat DME to add along with the LME can, I was wandering if I added a cup of dextrose to this would it take away the flavor seeing that I am adding a rasberry extract in when I rack into the secondary?

Thanks for all the help:mug:

Thanks for the input, I am just trying to get the wheat beer I am doing tonight to have a higher abv, but I know it is going to have the rasberry introduced in the secondary so I do not want it to be to rugged.

Raw sugars in small amounts like you are talking about wouldn't have any effect on the final product.

Back