DIY Walnut Mash Paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2NobleDogs

Reaction score
So, I broke my p.o.s. plastic mash paddle last weekend. I have a fair amount of leftover wood from our recent house renovation. I found some nice walnut pulled out the tools and went to cutting. A pretty simple design. It took me about an hour start to finish. I wasn't sure about putting a finish on it but went ahead and finished with walnut oil. I let it cure for about a week and then ran it through a test batch of boiling water. It seemed to work pretty well but once it cooled down I could see a thin layer of oil on the surface of the water. Once it dries I will sand it down and probably give pure tung oil a try.

I'll update when I have more info.
MashPaddle.jpg

Jet- I know you are likely kiddin about the holes, however, I do think they a little too big. It was the only hole saw I had on hand.:(

Did a batch of Black IPA this weekend. Used this paddled to stir the strike water, mash and wort. Cleaned it of and hung it back on the wall. 2 coats of tung oil fully cured didn't break down, melt or fall off. It still looks like it did before the start of the brew session. Woohooo! Who wants one??? I have enough walnut blanks to cut about 50 of these things. :ban:

That thing looks huge haha, and amazing. But maybe the holes are a bit too large...I don't think it will matter that much however.

Yeah..those holes are 2.5" because that was the size hole saw I had on hand at the time. I'll size them down to 2" for the next one. The total length is 36" with the paddle width being 3.5" x 16".

2NobleDogs said:
Jet- I know you are likely kiddin about the holes, however, I do think they a little too big. It was the only hole saw I had on hand.:(

I wouldn't worry about it.

So what are you askin' for one of these?

I'd be interested in one...Can you cut me a blank paddle? I will drill my own holes...

PM me a price including shipping if you dont mind!

ok...how does this sound?

Blank Paddle (cut, routered edges, sanded, unfinished) $30
Full Paddle w/2" holes (cut, routered, sanded, unfinished) $40
Full Paddle w/2" holes (cut, routered, sanded, finished w/2coats tung oil) $45

This does not included shipping. I'm guessing that would be in the $10 range depending on your location. :mug:

Also- these are hand cut paddles. I don't use a CNC machine. So, each one will have "personality";)

I would suggest no finish as the best option. Many of the curing oils used for wood are not FDA compliant, and some contain heavy metal catalysts that could leach out. If you insist on a finish, find an FDA compliant one, but eventually the hot mash environment will break down any finish you use.

What you do for your own paddle is your own business, but what you sell to others can be more complicated...

@airedAle- I did do extensive research on finish for the paddles. There are many, many opinions out there with no real consensus. What I learned was that once fully cured all finished are fda compliant. That is why you will find all kinds of finishes on wood kitchen utensils. I used tung oil which when fully cured creates a shell that does not melt in hot liquids.

With that being said you are probably right when it comes to selling to other folks. If you are interested in one of my paddles I will send it to you unfinished. If you are interested in finishing the paddle yourself do some research and use what you are comfortable with.

PM me with your address and what you are interested in and I send you a cost. Thanks for you kind words and interest!

Cheers!

Got a few cut today if anybody is interested. The one with the tung oil finish is already spoken for.
P6040028.jpg

P6040026.jpg

Well, that batch is gone. Probably try to knock out a few more this weekend if anybody else is interested.

Thanks to the folks that snatched that batch up. Please post some action pics! :)

Back